Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Topsy Turvy

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-00, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think that anyone who had been considering buying this dvd would have already jumped at it in pre-order,but just in case there are any still thinking about it - I would say do not hesitate. This film is very funny, colorful and has incredible acting performances. Might (imho) have been the best film of last year. I think it will be a dvd I will return to over the years (the real criterion for a recommendation for a purchase).
Old 06-23-00, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the review bdots48. I've been on the fence with this one, and now I just might have to make the jump.

Pete
Old 06-24-00, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rented this movie last night. Despite the great reviews for the film, I wasn't too sure if I would like it, since I don't have much interest in the subjest matter. I shouldn't have worried. It's a wonderful film. Beautifully shot, surprising funny, and great performances from all involved. Jim Broadbent is especially good as Gilbert. (His facial expessions during the scenes when he is first coming up with the idea for "The Mikado" should have merited a Best Actor nomination all by themselves.) Although it's a bit lacking in extras (a commentary would have been great), the DVD id still very nice. This is one of the best transfers I've seen. I'll probably be picking this up soon.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 06-25-00, 12:52 AM
Cool New Member

I watched it today and I agree with the other comments. Its a really great movie. Starts off kinda slow and a little confusing but once you get familiar with the characters it gets really good. It is interesting to see how the theatre was ran back in the 1800s.
Old 06-25-00, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My copy just arrived. Does anyone know why on the back of the cover it says "Modified to fit your TV"? I thought it was supposed to be in its original aspect ratio.

------------------
My DVDs

Old 06-25-00, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That must be a mistake. It is widescreen.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp