Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: "More Tales of the City"

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: "More Tales of the City"

Old 06-21-00, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seen the series, wondering about the DVDs.

--Heather
Old 06-24-00, 12:17 PM

I wasn't going to reply since I haven't seen the whole thing, but since no one else has...

They look pretty good but not great. These are pretty early dual-layer discs and were produced by a small studio who might not have exactly known how to do it right, so it looks very "digital": overly-sharp edges, overly-bright eyes and other white areas. Also, my friend's Tosh 1200 couldn't handle the layer change on one of the discs, although my Sony 3000 could. Even so, my friend is just happy to have the series and really doesn't mind the look or even the layer-change problem. HTH,

--Jim

------------------
My DVD list
Old 06-25-00, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, Stats.

--Heather
Old 06-26-00, 05:44 AM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Heather--

Did you like the series? I saw "Tales of The City," and loved it. So much so that I recorded all of the recently broadcast episodes of "More Tales of the City." However, after watching halfway through the third episode in "More Tales..." I thought it had gotten silly, and seemed more like a dated version of Melrose Place than a decent miniseries.

If they were to release the original "Tales of the City" on DVD, I might consider that one.
Old 06-26-00, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hoc,

I think "Tales of the City" is infinitely superior to the sequel, which I regard in much the same way you do. However, I have an affinity for (most of) the characters and my interest in the DVDs was piqued by reading that the features include:

• Commentary by Olympia Dukakis, Laura Linney, Barbara Garrick & Armistead Maupin
• Candid Tales of History
• Production Anecdotes
• PBS Controversy
• Deleted Scenes Featuring "The Landlord Speaks"
• Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Rehearsal and Filming Footage

If I were to watch it again there are certain parts I'd probably fast foward through (I saw the installments again on Bravo last week and found something else to do while a few of the nearly unbearably ridiculous antics were occurring) and I strongly disliked the direction several of the characters were moved in. For example, the resolution to the DeDe storyline was something that I disliked; I was enjoying that story, in spite of its limited screen time, until her and D'orothea's destination was revealed. And I won't bother elaborating on my unenthusiastic reaction to the dumb Burke stuff.

I'd definitely buy "Tales of the City" if it were to be released on DVD, but "More..." is just on my 'To Rent' list for now.

--Heather