Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Old 07-10-99, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have any of you seen this title on DVD? A check at DVD Express indicates that there are quite a few extras. How is the transfer given this movie is 25 years old?
Old 07-10-99, 04:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

I thought the transfer was pretty good. Of course, I keep in mind the age of the film too. I can't honestly compare it to what was shown in theatres because I'm a bit too young to have seen it when it was released.

D.
Old 07-10-99, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 201 Posts
what about the new one from columbia? it's coming soon "the next generation" for $13.99? hmmmm...probably crap all the way baby!
Old 07-11-99, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was very surprised just how good the Special Edition disc is. The transfer is impressive for its age, and the extras are outstanding. The commentary track is pretty entertaining too. If you like the film, I highly recommend this.
Old 05-09-00, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 169 Posts
i watched my copy again last night & this time listened to the commentary.

this is a great disc & it is not to be missed if you enjoy horror movies. the transfer is great & the sound delivers. it has a dolby 2.0 surround track as well as the original mono track. also has a commentary with Tobe Hooper (writer & director), the director of Photography, & the actor who played Leatherface. i thought that the commentary was very entertaining, funny & informative.

the extras are super as well. you get deleted scenes with explanations, production notes, a blooper reel (this one still kills me), trailers for all chainsaw movies & tv spots for the original, & a still photo collection.

Enjoy!!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 05-09-00, 01:54 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the king. The granddaddy ... the be all end all. Accept no substitute. The DVD is also one of the most extra-packed horror titles out there. The image quality is far better than any VHS you'll see, plus it's letterboxed.

Tobe Hooper supervised the transfer from the 16mm original. Personally, I think the graininess (because of the stock) gives the film a more documentary feel ... and makes it all the more freaky.

------------------
MY DVD LIBRARY: A study in addiction
MY DVD TALK REVIEWS: Blood, Breasts and Beasts
Old 05-10-00, 04:55 PM

Yes it is a good disc, but it could have been better. had anchor bay done the disc, ahhhhh, now that would have been a 10 star disc!

also the columbia one is TEXAS 4 with Matthew McCogney and Renee Zellwegger
Old 05-10-00, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

zombie, please tell me how anchor bay could have done better on this disc. i would like to know how.

and just because a disc has the anchor bay name on it, does not mean it is loaded. they put out quite a few discs that are bare-bones such as The Black Hole, They Shoot Horses Don't They, & many others.

geez, just cause anchor bay put out a few special editions they are reaching the mythical proportions of Criterion.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 05-10-00, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>please tell me how anchor bay could have done better on this disc<HR>

An anamorphic transfer? From my point of view, an anamorphic transfer is worth more than any amount of extras, because I can play it back using progressive scan. The resulting image is almost filmlike, unlike the S-Video, which when run back through the second-rate line doubler in my SD582, appears quite poor in comparison.

RD
Old 05-11-00, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

uh, hello???

zombie was saying how anchor bay could have done so much better. anchor bay still puts out non-anamorphic discs. all i am saying is that just b/c it might have anchor bay's name on it, does not mean it is automatically gold. geez.

i personally tohught that my picture was very good considering the film quality is from 1973, filmed on a low budget, & gives it an eerie documentary feel.

also, anamorphic may mean more to you than extras, but that is to you & is your opinion. i dont have a widescreen tv, dont plan on buying one anytime soon, & i am enjoying my discs with extras for now. thank you.

[This message has been edited by brianluvdvd (edited May 11, 2000).]
Old 05-11-00, 01:13 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Texas Chainsaw Massacre was never meant to have a pristine image ... so the anamorphic nonsense is a bit of a moot point in this case. The disc is outstanding.

------------------
MY DVD LIBRARY: A study in addiction
MY DVD TALK REVIEWS: Blood, Breasts and Beasts
Old 05-12-00, 07:32 PM

You know, I really love this disc, but for some reason, the laserdisc from Elite is a better transfer. The color seems better and the picture seems a tad flat on the DVD - HOWEVER it's still a pristine version - and those menus are really great. It's a keeper.
Old 05-12-00, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI: I've never seen the original Chainsaw (it's on my short list of movies to rent), but I saw part of The Next Generation. Believe it or not, Matthew McConaughey and Renne Zellwegger star in it. Too bad their star power couldn't save this train wreck of a movie. It's jaw-droppingly awful.

- David Stein