Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Batman and Robin": Is it really that bad?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"Batman and Robin": Is it really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-00, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cyforce: huh? Joel Schumacher has done a lot of bad things, but he didn't make 'Street Fighter'. the 1994 Van Damme film was written and directed by Steven E. De Souza; Schumacher wasn't even a producer.

you must have him confused...

DJ
Old 05-05-00, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "Street Fighter" movie - yet another movie that got critically trashed that I must say I enjoyed. Like "Batman and Robin", I liked it for its "corniness" and it was kind of fun seeing them bring the Street Fighter characters to life.

Heck, there's far worse comic-to-film or videogame-to-film efforts than these two. Take the Mario Brothers movie for instance. Now that's one I can rightly say is truly bad, and I'm way more tolerant than what most would regard as a "bad" movie.
Old 05-05-00, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I've been a long time comic collector and all the Batman movies kind of sucked. Yes, Burton's interpretation of them was certainly better than anyone else's, but take a look at the Mask of the Phantasm animated film and you'll see a much superior, adult film to any of the live action ones.

Unfortunately the video quality of the Batman:MoP DVD is kind of poor. It would've been nice if they cleaned it up a bit, but at least it's anamorphic.

At any rate, if someone decides to do another Bats film, let's hope they totally dump every major cast member and start from scratch. The funny thing about the Bats films is that the minor roles, like Alfred, Commision Gordon, etc, were played better than the major ones, who were major hams.

I really, really hope the next Bats film will be a version of Batman Returns, supposedly what the original Bats was inspired by. But I have a feeling this is will just turn into the MAtrix.

As for Keaunau playing Bats, why bother? What he's describing sounds like the Matrix. Just let him wear the suit in that film, it would be the same thing. Every comic book/sci-fi film coming out will be Matrix clones anyways. Anyone see the X-Men trailer? Looks like they actually stopped production mid-way and changed it to look like the Matrix.
Old 05-05-00, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I believe Clooney or Schumacher (more likely Clooney) was quoted in Wizard magazine as saying something to the effect of "We killed the series."

Tuan Jim

------------------
My mommy always said there were no monsters. No real ones. But there are.

-- Newt
Old 05-06-00, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
The funniest thing I remember about this movie was near the very end, Alicia Silverstone (Batgirl) is sleeping on the couch when Clooney comes down and my friend says something to the effect of: it's Wayne Manor and they can't find one extra bedroom for her to sleep in? Go figure...

I'm not very picky, but this was pretty bad. The series moved to a more cartoonish effect with too many villians/good guys. Even the casting was somewhat poor and the special effects and what-not didn't seem very impressive. Just didn't click at all with me.

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Old 05-07-00, 02:41 AM

Batman and Robin was probably the worst movie of 1997. The acting and the story was weak. I had high hopes for this movie, but I was disappointed big time. I went with three freinds to see it in the theater. Two of them left while the movie was still running. I was surprised that I didn't go with them.
Old 05-08-00, 06:34 PM
Cool New Member

most of you have covered a lot of the reasons b&r sucked, but no one mentioned the unbelievably horrible EDITING!

worst edited movie i have ever seen. the constant cuts in the action scenes made it impossible to follow what was happening (even if you were still interested) add that to the sensory assault of the abysmal soundtrack, and you have 4 hours of pure torture.

(what? is wasn't four hour long?)

------------------
scoob