Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Fong Sai-Yuk 1&2

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Fong Sai-Yuk 1&2

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-00, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These Jet Li Hong Kong Movies from 93 are both awesome and I would like to know if anyone has seen them on DVD. If so, how's the transfer? Anamorphic? Unwatchable? Thanks to anyone who can help me out.
Old 05-08-00, 03:06 PM

There is a DVD/Movie review of FONG SAI YUK at my website. FONG SAI YUK 2 is currently OOP (Out of Print) but will be available again sometime this month.

Beyond the Blade

[This message has been edited by Hanzou (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old 05-08-00, 03:14 PM

I have FSY1 and it is the true definition of a "bare bones" release. There are zero extras, not even chapter stops! The movie is one 90-minute track that you will have to fast forward through.

As for video quality, it's pretty bad as well, even for a HK movie. The subtitles are burned in (Chinese and English) in solid white (not outlined) such that they are lost in the background at many points.

Those things considered, it still looks way better than VHS. If you like the movie, it is worth the $8-10 it goes for in HK stores. FSY2 is out of print now and you can't find it even in HK. Some US studio may eventually come in and clean it up (ala Fist of Legend or My Father is a Hero), but they will probably change to an English dub and put a new soundtrack in, so it just doesn't seem right.
Old 05-08-00, 06:53 PM

Does anyone know what features and extras are going to be in the new versions coming later this month? I believe it's supposed to be dubbed in English instead of being in Chinese with English subtitles. While normally, I would prefer it in its original language with subtitles (as something always gets lost in the translation and I do understand some Chinese), I believe the voice acting in the English dub is supposed to be pretty good as I caught the first movie on TV a few weekends ago.