DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Which version of Wizard of Oz?

Old 03-28-00, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know there are two different versions out there. First of all, what are the two different versions (who makes them)? Are they any different? Is one better than the other (picture quality, extras, sound, etc...)?
Thanks
Old 03-28-00, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MGM and Warner. The Warner Bros. is the newest and has all the extras and alot at that. I dont think the MGM one has any extras.
Old 03-28-00, 06:15 PM

Don't get the bad one! Get the other one - it's much better.
Old 03-28-00, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:
Originally posted by TELawrence:
Don't get the bad one! Get the other one - it's much better.

Thanks. No, really, thanks alot...

Old 03-30-00, 02:54 AM

Go with the Warner. The MGM version has the movie(mono), the trailer,and an 8 page booklet. The Warner has many features and a 5.1 remix. Honestly, the features range from interesting(silent film clips of other versions of Oz) to "will I ever use this?",like the many alternate audio takes. Personally, I don't care for alternate versions of munchkin songs. The Warner version is so clean that it almost looks weird. The plastic plants in the set are all the more visible. The MGM transfer is very saturated and looks good from far away. Up close it's not that smooth of a transfer. A purist may prefer the MGM version with it's original mono track,but in the end the Warner is probably the best.

I originally had the MGM disc,then sold it and got the Warner. Then decided I wanted the MGM again, rebought that and realized it wasn't as nice as I remembered it,so I sold it am keeping the Warner.