Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Might I Be The Only Mummy-Hater?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Might I Be The Only Mummy-Hater?

Old 01-06-00, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
I saw The Mummy (1999) last spring in the theatres. I hated it from begining to end! I hated the acting, the queer jokes, special effects (ILM Better get on the ball) and I hated having to sit there as my 7.50 ticket melted away. The thing is, all of my friends/family say that they just love this movie. I hate it. How could anybody love this POS. I thought I'd get a second opinion from some people who know what they're talking about (DVDTalkers). If I get enough good feedback, I might force my way to Hollywood Video to rent it. Please leave what you thought about the movie here. Thanks.

------------------
This Weeks Quote:

Jack: You tell Glen if I see him I'm gonna step on his glasses, might not even take em' off first.

After The Smoke Has Cleared, And My Credit Card Is Maxed Out, I Hold These DVD's...
Old 01-06-00, 05:50 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also hated the Mummy. After seeing it in theaters I swore such swill would never grace my DVD player, no matter how great the disc is...

Greg
Old 01-06-00, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I rented it on dvd, and my god, was it lousy. I am so glad I didn't buy it unseen.
Old 01-06-00, 06:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know... while it wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, it was far from the worst. I thought it was a fun/diverting Indiana Jones wannabe movie. I guess I went in with low expectations though, after hearing everyone pick on it, so maybe that was the difference
Old 01-06-00, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was the last movie I saw before leaving the country on, not so coincidentally, a 3 month archaeological expedition in the desert. Usually I try to see a decent movie right before I leave so I can get through the months away from civilization (and hence, movies) without going nuts. Well, this year I went nuts. That movie was horrible. Absolute crap in every way. There is a small chance that I would have liked it if I was an 8 year old kid, and thats about the best thing I can say about it.

Old 01-06-00, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Welcome friends of rare taste. When this DVD came out all the forum sang its praise. I saw the movie on opening night without reading a single review and the whole audience was squirming, agog at the movie's true awfulness. It was in all honesty the worst movie I have ever seen in a theater. No matter how good the extras are on the dvd, you cound not pay me enough to sit through it again.
Old 01-06-00, 06:54 PM
classícman

I assume those that "hated" The Mummy did not care much for Raiders of the Lost Ark or Romancing the Stone, huh?
Old 01-06-00, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:<HR>Originally posted by classicman:
I assume those that "hated" The Mummy did not care much for Raiders of the Lost Ark or Romancing the Stone, huh?<HR>

I loved All of the Indy movies! I thought that Romancing the Stone was a pretty good movie. I'll buy it sometime. How could you even compare The Mummy to Indy?!?

Indy: Jokes that work.
Mummy: I didn't hear one funny thing out of anyone's mouth.

Indy: Enjoyable characters.
Mummy: I didn't really care who lived or dies. All, but one, actors gave aweful peformances that I never got attached to. The only character I liked is Arnold Vosloo. I just love this guy for some reason (In a totally heterosexual way)! Reminds me a bit of the always delightful Steve Buscemi.

Indy: Great physical effects combining smart uses of the camera with good actors that know how to act w/o a real rock chasing them.
Mummy: Another POS put together overnight using by ILM. Do these guys actually do anything these days, except make some really crappy effcts. What happened to the days of Titanic?

More to come when I think of more. I hate this movie! Sorry Summers.

------------------
This Weeks Quote:

Jack: You tell Glen if I see him I'm gonna step on his glasses, might not even take em' off first.

After The Smoke Has Cleared, And My Credit Card Is Maxed Out, I Hold These DVD's...

[This message has been edited by troystiffler (edited January 06, 2000).]
Old 01-06-00, 07:24 PM
classícman

I am certainly not one to be argumentative, troystiffler, but it is a better movie than 2 of those you listed on best 100 films thread: Die Hard 3 & Fight Club.
Old 01-06-00, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The word I have for The Mummy: LAME.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 01-06-00, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Classicman

WTF is wrong with Fight Club. That was a Great movie! I loved it! All of the mystery behind it. I think that it could of toned down the violence a little bit, but violence has never ruined a movie. Could you please explain why you didn't like it? Thanks.

And NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBodYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Talks about Die Hard WAV! That movie is one of the best movies of all time! It's a super energized movie that I can't get enough of. How can anybody not love this movie? Hell, even Gene Shailot gave it a good review. "Fun With A Vegeance" to be exact! And that's exactly what the movie was, a big ball of fun! I mean John McTiernan, this guy rocks! Action director's just dont come with better quality! Well, maybe Woo, but that's the Only Exception! Please refrain from talking about Die Hard WAV with a negative attitude again! I did expect a little more out of the DVD, but to get such an excellent movie, I'd settle for a Medecy Production!
Old 01-06-00, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This movie was SO entertaining! I found it relentlessly fun and the leads very charming. I hadn't been so entertained at the theatre since the last Indy film! It was a sweet combination of 90s style effects and pacing with classic action adventure settings.

However, I don't see why you'd ask such a question. If you hated it in the theatre, why would your opinion change so greatly with the DVD? Even if you went from hate to tolerance, why waste the money on something you don't like?
Old 01-06-00, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"The Mummy" really is an incredibly stupid film. It's the type of mindless, effects-driven movie I usually despise. So why did I enjoy it? I have know idea. It's definitely not a great film. I think this one just falls under the category of "guilty pleasures" for me. I bought the DVD and, although it's not something I'll watch that often, I don't regret picking it up.

By the way, I'll agree with classicman. I thought "The Fight Club", depite a good first 20 minutes and some interesting visuals, was an awful movie. (Not that the kinder, gentler classicman would ever call any movie awful.)

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 01-06-00, 08:05 PM
classícman

My term for The Fight Club, Gamblor187, is a French word - ordure.

This so-called movie was poorly acted, poorly directed, poorly scripted, and totally without sequential progression.
On top of that, the characters were completely unbelievable and the story line (or what there was of one) was even more unbelievable.

This movie was certainly one of the worst movies in a year of bad movies (generally) - 1999.
Old 01-06-00, 09:14 PM
Cool New Member

Truly a formulaic bore.
Old 01-07-00, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
C'mon this is not the worst movie ever made. In fact I'm surprised by the negative response in this thread. Sure it's a special effects driven summer blockbuster kind of film, but what do you expect? Some deep underlying message? I found the film amusing and enjoyable. Not great, but an entertaining 2 hours

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Old 01-07-00, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was very entertained with "The Mummy" . . . great story, action, and special effects mixed in with some humor. My wife and I had low expectations going into the theater, but left very entertained!!!

Furthermore, Universal has produced one awesome DVD for this film . . . great transfer, sound, and extras!!! It was even better the second time around in my home theater . . . can't wait for the sequel!!!
Old 01-07-00, 08:29 AM

In The Mummy you can feel the mechanical wheels of Hollywood turning in the background grinding out another film calculated to become a hit. I found it to be a bland film, with god awful acting, a thin script, and fairly dull effects (except for two sequences which I thought were at least interesting, though not spectacular).

Indiana Jones worked because it was an homage to the classic serials. The Mummy didn't because it was a cheap knock off of the Indiana Jones formula.
Old 01-07-00, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Joel, I think you can say that about almost every big budget commercial Hollywood flick - They're all calculated. IMHO what sets The Mummy apart is one of the same things that sets Spielberg movies apart: Enthusiasm. I just got the feeling that the director (who's also the scriptwriter) and everyone else involved really really loved what they were doing. It doesn't get any purer than that.

And to my part in keeping alive the topic that won't die, if you want a truly calculated I'm-only-here-for-the-paycheque type movie, try Armageddon.
Old 01-07-00, 01:13 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ipkevin:
Joel, I think you can say that about almost every big budget commercial Hollywood flick - They're all calculated.<HR>

Hmm... Perhaps that's why I don't care for many of them.
Old 01-07-00, 06:05 PM

Entertaining flick, great DVD. No more, no less. Anyone who didn't enjoy this, go rent some art flicks and stop watching "Hollywood Trash".
Old 01-07-00, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like Hollywood trash. Just not when it's this bad.
Old 01-10-00, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

classicman: how in the world can u say that "Fight Club" had bad directing??!?! This was one of the most slickly shot and well paced films I've seen this year. I was never bored and the visuals and editing were amazing. Acting is questionable...I thought Norton however was very good..the script is hit and miss sometimes but I thought the overall concept was very good
Old 01-10-00, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts
this movie is Indiana Jone Lite at its best. it is okay but is definitely not a classic or can even be compared to Raiders or Romancing the Stone. what is strange though, i went ahead & listened to the commentary & enjoyed it more than the movie. really strange.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 01-10-00, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brianluvdvd, Actually I don't find that odd at all. The same thing happened to me w/ X-Files. I didn't really care for the movie until I watched it with the commentary.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.