Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Might I Be The Only Mummy-Hater?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Might I Be The Only Mummy-Hater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-00, 02:25 PM
classícman

Jamezuva

I have only to comment that you must have been watching a different movie that I was.
Old 01-10-00, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hated it also. Cannot believe it was such a big hit. Just goes to show you the mentality of todays movie go-er...
Old 01-11-00, 06:11 AM

Maybee this was not the best movies of all time, but if you cannot at least appreciate the special effects - you are hard to please.

I thought this movie was OK, and worthy of joining my collection.
Old 01-11-00, 12:34 PM

The Mummy was my last VHS rental before I got my DVD player at Christmas! :-) I couldn't bear to actually watch the whole thing to the end. I saw nothing about the movie that was worthwhile. OK, the effects were impressive, yawn. And I thought Indiana Jones, Romancing the Stone, and Stargate were all great (with the Indy movies being top of the class of course).
Old 01-11-00, 07:36 PM
Cool New Member

WOW! I must be the only one in the whole wide world who actually like this mummy film. I know that it is not the greatest film to have ever been released, but I did enjoy the film quite a bit. Please do not FLAME me for liking the film. My critique of the film is just somewhat different from yours.

Thank you and my 2 cents.
Old 01-16-00, 03:36 AM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Troy--

I thought The Mummy sucked. But the special effects and sound were worth the $5 I paid for it.
Old 01-16-00, 11:04 AM
onslaught

You guys are not alone. This movie sucked!
Old 01-16-00, 01:27 PM

I personally didn't think it was that bad, they tried to poke a little at the Indiana movies.

------------------
Old 01-17-00, 12:45 PM

I wasted $7.50 on the "Mummy" in the theater and was forced to watch it on DVD. It sucked even worse the second time around. The movie is neither creative or funny - Kind of like, "Ishtar" meets "Starship Troopers". I will have to say that I found "The Mummy" more tolerable than Phantom Menace - at least "The Mummy" admitted it was a parody.

I owe classicman an apology for thrashing on him about "The Fight Club" awhile ago (although I disagree with him on "Raiders").

What we need are more movies directed by David Fincher that have no point what-so-ever, except to show that as human beings we have no choice but to be reduced to our lowest, primitive, common denominator. I still think David Fincher should perhaps "off" himself if he really thinks movies like "Seven" appeal to anybody but a de-sensitized audience starving for increased, visual extremes.
Old 01-17-00, 12:59 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I enjoyed The Mummy as a mindless popcorn movie. I do think the picture was deceptively marketed ... they sorta made it seem like it was supposed to be somewhat serious and frightening ... and then you go, and it's this broad comedy. More Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy than Boris' Mummy.

And, um, there ain't no mummies in the whole goldang movie. Those were ZOMBIE lookin' dudes. Mummies have those tattered rags and stuff. Heh.

It's a fun movie. And the DVD is nifty. Sorry, you didn't like it buddy. That sort of thing happens to the best of us.

------------------
MY DVDs: A study in addiction
THE FAKE NEWS: An e-zine for NORM MACDONALD fans

Old 01-20-00, 11:00 PM
Ash

There are two ends of the spectrum, Indy, and Ash. Of course, both are trying to achieve different goals, and movies have drastically different feels...

BUT THATS FOR A REASON!!!

There was never a doubt in my mind that AOD was supposed to be a B, borderline slapstick, pile of low budget "horror." The fact that Indy were supposed to be B movies also is a completely different rant.

So WTF was the Mummy? Pick out Brenden Fraiser, a teenybopper dressed up for the role but without the skills. Throw in some FX to try and wow the masses. You'll notice that the fx in Indy were not even noticeable or selling points, and AOD was just a nightmare. So you fork out how much for a movie, and get the summer crowd. Reason enough to be more wary of the factors that drag you into the theatre or entice you to buy a DVD. I have a friend that owns this, and I scoff everytime he mentions it. I wouldn't buy it out of the pure loyalty to Bruce Campbell and Harrison Ford. I better stop here before this rant gets even further out of control.

------------------
"The name's Ash, Housewares"
My Dvds
Old 01-20-00, 11:13 PM

I think The Mummy is(was?) better than...ummm...say...George Lucas? HeHe

------------------
Anamorphic DVD's make
customers happy~! ^^;
Old 01-22-00, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
NOOOOOOO!!! I just saw on the news that The Mummy two is supposed to hit theatres in Spring of 2001. More Hollywood trash for the fire.

------------------
This Weeks Quote:

Bruce: Ever dance with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight?

The Horror, The Horror
Old 01-23-00, 12:50 AM
Banned

I'll have to say the Mummy was pretty good.

It had it's moments .....and those bugs. That was cool how you could see them crawling beneath the skin!

Jonathan

------------------
my list of dvd's
Old 01-24-00, 07:33 PM

Now now... The Mummy was not the best movie ever made, but it was far far from the worst! I can think of many other movies that are worse than this one.
Examples:
Star Wars: Episode I (heheh, boy that's gonna start some mud slinging!)
Aliens 3 (UGH)
The Running Man (my vote for worst movie EVER)

The Mummy was not meant to be a literary work exporing ancient Egypt or film noir or anything like that. It was designed to be entertaining, and I, for one, think it was.
Old 01-25-00, 01:45 AM

Just heard that the Mummy 2 is to be made this year. Fraser to get 12.5 milllion.

Obviously plenty of people saw No. 1.

BJ.