Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Hurlyburly

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-00, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is a gem of a movie that slipped past a lot of people. It's got a great cast: Sean Penn, Kevin Spacey, Meg Ryan, Chaz Palmenteri, Garry Shandling, Robin Wright Penn, and Anna Pacquin. The performances across the board are awesome.

The first hour of this movie is hysterical, very fast, and just comes right at you. The second hour is subdued, but it's still a good movie.

The DVD itself is well done. The movie looks and sounds great. It includes what I think is one helluva trailer. It also includes two commentaries, which dive deeply into this movie. These two tracks talk about the philosophy and the metaphors used in the movie, so they're really in depth.

I'd say rent it first, cause this movie isn't for everyone, but I loved it.
Old 01-24-00, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
agreed!
Old 01-24-00, 04:50 PM
barrese

quote:<HR>I'd say rent it first, cause this movie isn't for everyone, but I loved it.<HR>

I'll agree to that. Me and my friends saw this in the theater and didn't care for it at all. I thought it was contrived, convoluted, and just generally over-rated. It was originally a stage production, and I could see it working as that, but not a movie.
Old 01-24-00, 05:00 PM

Yeah, I read the David Rabe play long before the movie and did a scene from it in an acting class... I see what you mean, contrived, etc... But I still like it, the actors in it are great in my opinion...
Old 01-24-00, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like some dialogue-driven movies like this, especially when they are witty. This movie just seemed to try to hard. I found most of the dialogue boring or silly rather than funny or witty. The "blah blah blah"'s were particularly annoying. The characters were almost impossible to like. I would suggest definately renting this movie first, even if you like the cast.
Old 01-24-00, 08:55 PM

I rented it, liked the first half, was bored by the 1st half hour of the 2nd half, then returned it without watching the last 1/2 hour.