Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

My review of the CNN Millenium 2000 DVD

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

My review of the CNN Millenium 2000 DVD

Old 01-16-00, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys and gals,

I haven't posted in months. But I started again once I got a DVD-ROM for XMAS. I wish I had the foresight back then to buy dvd's back when coupons were plentiful. My only coupon like resource is pointclick.com which is really great providing I get my reimbursement check.

Before you start laughing(I never thought I would buy this either but i needed to add something to get 25 bucks on pointclick.com, plus I didn't get to see any 2000 coverage)I just wanted to say that know one that I have seen has review the disc. I was disappointed. The content was better than I expected but the video quality was a low grade of vhs. I think they made one transfer for both vhs and dvd, which is a shame because they had the ability to get it digitally off the satellites. If you want to get this to show your kids you may want to, but if you are looking for something that looks like it is on TV at this very moment you need to look elsewhere.

Anyone else got an opinion on this?
Old 01-16-00, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moving to the Review forum.

And thanks, Joey83, for posting your thoughts on the disc!

--Heather
Old 01-16-00, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, I was going to reply but I think I wont. When I saw this in Walmart I was wondering who would actually buy this. Its okay, I have several titles I wonder why I bought them, I mean I knew they were going to be bad but not that bad and or boring. I guessed I replied, sorry.
Old 01-16-00, 08:50 PM

ernsterp

It is not that bad. It was worth the 3 bucks i paid for it, just not the 20 buck list price. Plus this was my first dvd i owned. I now need to build a shelf in my room for em.

--Joey
Old 01-16-00, 10:50 PM

I was very disappointed in this DVD. I could have put something better with my own VCR! First problem was the quality of the video. About the same quality as I could get taping it off the air, which looks abysmal on a DVD. And the actual content was disappointing as well. They just re-edited the CNN broadcast footage. So it had the CNN logo in the corner, captions, countdown timers -- all sorts of extraneous cruft. And because it was a copy of a live broadcast, it had all the problems of a live broadcast trying to cover multiple events at the same time. So for instance, the great fireworks in Paris were reduced to a quarter screen split-screen window, so they could also show the scene in the Vatican. Same thing with New York and DC. Since it's not live anyway, I wish they would have given us the raw video with the raw audio, just so you could see it in good quality. If it's a replay, I don't care that NYC and DC were happening at the same time!

Anyway, I guess it's worth the $3 I paid for it, but not much more than that. ugghh.
Old 01-16-00, 11:04 PM

Smack, agreed. With something like the changing of the odometer(millenium doesn't start till 01 but i have a hard time finding out what to call it when all the digits change so i made it up...I mean hell shakespeare did it all the time ;-) )CNN should have recorded that stuff in hd to use later. It is a shame.

--Joey
Old 01-20-00, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may find Geoff's thread enlightening as you can often tell what the DVD is like by the questions that are asked.

On a bag of Fritos:
You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside.
<small>

[This message has been edited by Startide (edited January 19, 2000).]
Old 01-23-00, 12:11 PM
Cool New Member

I purchased this because my wife had said New Years Day "maybe someone will compile film from celebrations all over the world"...and that is exactly what this is. True, the video and audio are shaky at times, but considering that over 50 reporters from around the world contributed and they through it together in four days, I'd say they didn't do too bad of a job.

------------------
[email protected]