Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

How is Gattaca on DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-00, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked around for reviews for Gattaca everywhere with no luck. Anyone have it? How is it? Does it come with any extras? Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I'm considering purchasing this title.

Thanks much!

Old 01-19-00, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Go check out the DVD details on sites like www.amazon.com and www.dvdexpress.com - both sites will tell you of the extra features that are the Gattaca DVD. IIRC, there are some deleted scenes included on this DVD.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 01-19-00, 10:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't recall everything about it (it's been awhile since I've watched it ) so I can't tell you what features are on it off hand. However, if you are questioning it wrt the movie itself I really recommend this. It's almost like a 40s detective movie set in a world that may exist within the next couple of decades. The plot moves along at a good pace, mainly because it doesn't really get bogged down in trying to explain the technology that is used. Since I'm not much of a reviewer though, try this link: http://www.dvdresource.com/reviews/gattaca.shtml I think that'll get you what you need
Old 01-20-00, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrew Niccol's awesome story. Beautiful cinematography. Gorgeous set design. A wonderful score that I can't get out of my head sometimes. Jude Law's acting. In addition to the aforementioned goodies, you'll get a very nice transfer and even better sound from this Columbia/Tristar disc. Most of this movie is dialogue and thank God they did a good job with it. Opening sequence and the blast off at the end sounds spectacular! If my copy got stolen or went missing, I'd replace it a heartbeat at full price.
Old 01-20-00, 09:23 AM

BUY IT!!!!!! It's one of the best movies to come out in years. Even if it was a bare bones DVD, which it isn't, I'd still have bought it. There are several extras, deleted scenes and I think commentaries (can't remember), as well as avery good transfer.
Old 01-20-00, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 01-20-00, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I agree that this film is awesome.

The more I see it the more I like it.

I would get a bare bones dvd on this one too.

The ending was just great.
Old 01-20-00, 10:45 PM
Ash

I haven't bought it yet, but have been considering it for some time.

By the way, it's not really "set design" as much as one of Frank Lloyd Wrights most famous buildings, the Marin County Civic Center. Even though I haven't bought this yet... I'd prolly buy it just for the scenery. Althought I live less than and hour and a half from this place, I've yet to visit it. There are some nice pictures here:
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/marin/marin.html

------------------
"The name's Ash, Housewares"
My Dvds
Old 01-21-00, 09:43 PM

It's a great movie and a superb dvd... I would get it only for that "what if..." clip among the supliments (it was probably intended before credits). I really wonder why they cut that out, makes you think... I tend to show this to people as a teaser of the movie...
Old 01-23-00, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Was it just me, or did this movie feel like a theatrical play once you watched it?

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 01-23-00, 02:56 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I'm with everyone else. Gattaca was one of my first DVDs ... it's a crime to see it in any other format than widescreen. The visuals spectacular. I was one of a handful of people who actually saw the film in the theater. Such a shame.

------------------
MY DVDs: A study in addiction
THE FAKE NEWS: An e-zine for NORM MACDONALD fans