Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Ninja Resurrection - AVOID!!!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Ninja Resurrection - AVOID!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-00, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you absolutely must have every anime DVD released (and if you do, why are you reading this?), then avoid Ninja Resurrection!

The DVD itself is fine. Nice picture, lots of previews, good English & Japanese soundtracks, good subs.

But here's the problem: Despite having two 35 minute (or so) episodes included, the disc ends just when the story starts to get going. To make a comparison in terms of plot progression, this would be akin to stopping "The Matrix" just after Neo is brought out of the matrix and into reality. It sets everything up and it's all over!

This wouldn't be such a big deal if other episodes were available, but they aren't and rumour has there never will be any more episodes of Ninja Resurrection. If that's the case, then I highly recommend you do NOT buy this disc. No conflict is resolved. It will leave you empty. Especially given the price tag, it's just not worth it.

If you want a bit more about NR: Think Ninja Scroll (1800s Japan, evil and eclectic warrior demons versus swordsman hard-ass Jubei, violent swordplay action) but more outlandish and with a jaw-droppingly blasphemous interpretation of Christian religion. The music is incredible. Symphonic, overblown, outrageous. I really liked it. The animation ranges from okay to quite bad, but this may be due to budget issues. So content-wise, it's interesting enough. But without those remaining episodes, it just isn't worth your time.

[This message has been edited by ipkevin (edited January 04, 2000).]
Old 01-05-00, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also be warned, ADV Films (who released this) is FALSELY claiming that NINJA RESURRECTION is a sequel to NINJA SCROLL. This is NOT true. They are entirely unrelated except for two things. They both contain a character named Jubei, and they are both based on unrelated books by the same guy.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~prefect.asp