Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Quick Review Of The Wall (Or maybe not so quick)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Quick Review Of The Wall (Or maybe not so quick)

Old 12-19-99, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outstanding. One of the best dvds I own. Buy it. You can get it for free at cameraworld.com (see the bargain forum).

Pink Floyd The Wall isn't the greatest film ever made, but it's extremely interesting. The animation in the film is beyond brilliant--particularly the scenes from "Empty Spaces" and "What Shall We Do Now?" The Video is in 2.35:1 widescreen, and is very good overall. There is a bit of grain. The Sound is awesome. I've never heard The Wall sound so good before. A word of caution--it's very very loud. My parents were screaming at me because it was shaking the house, but I couldn't even hear them. It also has a little thing on the disc to test your sound setup.

My favorite part of the disc is the supplemental material. It is simply packed with extras, and as a Pink Floyd / Roger Waters fanatic this was a dream come true. First, there is a promo featurette from 1982 that lasts about 25 minutes. It's not great, but it's a lot better than most promos. It has video interviews with Alan Parker and Gerald Scarfe, a few audio bits from Waters, and behing the scenes footage. Next, there is a 45 minute documentary, looking back at the wall, which is split into two parts. It has video interviews with Waters, Scarfe, Parker, Alan Marshall, James Guthrie, and the cinematographer (can't remember his name). It is fascinating stuff, and I learned a great deal about what all involved thought about the film (Waters admits that he doesn't think it quite works the way it should). The supplements with will probably surprise many--his work can often seem dark and depressing, but he is actaully an extremely optimistic and hopeful fellow. The best supplement is the running audio commentary with Waters and Scarfe. This is one of the best commentaries I've heard (though I may be biased because I was so excited to hear Waters speak in depth about The Wall). Not only do they reveal a great deal about producion, motivations and meaning, but the track is also extremely funny (check out the "Is there anybody out there" section--it made me laugh out loud). The rest of the extras include the best menus I've ever seen, brief clips from other Floyd songs, secret buttons that play Waters / Floyd related sounds (press the "9" button on your remote to hear them), a decent music video for "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2," the trailer (very interesting to see how they tried to market the film), the deleted scene for the song "Hey You," (which is interesting but is a low quality print) and 2 still galleries, one of photos and one of animations. There are also English subtitles for dialogue and lyrics on the disc.

This is one of my 3 favorite discs, along with Brazil and 12 Monkeys.