Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Can I get a Floyd: The Wall review?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Can I get a Floyd: The Wall review?

Old 12-08-99, 02:21 AM
Neo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody out there? With a review that is.

------------------

"All Jedi had was a bunch of muppets."-Dante
Old 12-08-99, 06:35 AM

Great disc. Lots of extras. The menus can keep you busy for awhile all on their own. Be sure to check out the hidden symbols. As was posted elsewhere, press 9 when you see a symbol on a menu screen.
Old 12-08-99, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I haven't made it through the complete film yet but I am very impressed so far. Talk about taking a trip down old memory lane. When my wife got home last night we popped the disc in and jumped right to "Comfortably Numb" (Chapter 21) and sat there entranced by the audio. I'm very happy with the new 5.1 mix as it keeps the music firmly grounded in the front soundstage and uses the surrounds for atmospheric effect.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs

Old 12-08-99, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As an owner of about 150 discs, I have to say this disc is excellent. The menus are possibly the coolest I've seen on a disc, the commentary by Roger Waters and the cartoonist-guy is great (it opens with the MGM tiger roaring, and they say, "Oh, I remember this, we shot this at the zoo..."), and the other extras include trailer, photo gallery, and direct access to most songs in the flick. And, of course, the movie is amazing - with a superb soundtrack.

Gooooodbye... Blue Sky...

- David Stein
Old 12-08-99, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd be interested in hearing more comments about the commentary. Waters has been very vocal in his criticism of the film in the past. Does he weigh in with a lot of negative comments during the commentary, or has he come to like the movie?

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 12-09-99, 01:36 AM
Cool New Member

The commentary track is great. Waters and Scarfe only briefly talk about their relationship with Alan Parker. Originally Waters and Scarfe came up with the idea for the film, scripted it and did everything related to planning. Parker basically wanted to take over. Waters objection to this is rooted in the fact that he wrote the music, the screenplay, and lived the life that the film describes. He talks about this in the commentary only briefly. The rest of the commentary is very informative and very enjoyable. In my opinion the commentary is excellent. The film is great. I feel that this DVD is a must have for fans of artistic film and music.
Old 12-09-99, 05:03 PM

i agree that the commentary is excellent...it is one of my favorite commentaries, and an unusual one because waters is by the writer, and musician behind the movie,which is based on his real life (so in essence he is telling you quite explicitly his autobiography on several levels), this makes the commentary very informative and interesting...it was very cool to gain his insights into the movie and music, as well as the messages he was really trying to send (ie "we dont need no education" was not condemning all schools, just teachers who got off on putting down students)...i also really enjoyed the documentaries, and the film itself is great
Old 12-10-99, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read an interview with waters that was published in the tour book for his concert this summer, which mentions the dvd release of the film. He said that he didn't think the film quite worked because it was intended to be a bit funny, but wasn't at all. He said he really wasn't happy with Parker's direction and pacing.
Old 12-11-99, 01:00 AM

Location: <a href=http://www.dvdtracker.com/~dylan>My DVD's </a>
I just got the disk and the extra's are great but I do have one problem, the audio. Does anyone hear a lot of hissing? I hear it more so in 5.1 than Surround. None of my other disks have done this.

------------------
My DVD's

Old 12-11-99, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A little off topic here, but it may interest some of you.

The back cover of "The Final Cut", Water's last album with Pink Floyd (and some would say the real Pink Floyd's final album), is rumored to be Water's response to the movie. It is a picture of a soldier holding a can of film, with a knife sticking out of his back.

jim

------------------
Old 12-15-99, 10:52 AM

I agree... The disk itself is great. Lots of extras and creative menus.

However, I must tell you that I was disappointed by the movie itself. I've never seen the entire movie before. Now I realized that it is too negative and offensive and even scary. I don't even want to see some scenes any more including "flower sex(?)". I'm afraid lest this movie makes people negative, frusrated and even crazy. This movie should have contained some bright subjects. I thought the music is enough to understand "The Wall". ...My 2 cents.
Old 12-15-99, 12:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

yspak,

I agree that The Wall is a very dark movie. But, to me, that's part of what it needed to convey the message. I don't think that I would have liked it as much if it had been less dark and intense.

------------------
D.

TheFloor
Old 12-15-99, 07:50 PM

Roger Waters has actually said that he thinks the film is flawed because it is too dark--not that the dark moments in it should have been cut, but that there needed to be at least a bit of humor in the film.

Gamblor: I have to say that I disagree with you about the cover of Final Cut. The album is about the manner in which we have betrayed what the soldiers who died in World War 2 (which Waters' father died in), and that we fail to take notice of and respect history (conveyed in the song "Possible Pasts": "Strung out behind us, the banners and flags / Of our possible pasts lie in tatters and rags.") So I think that explains the picture on the back cover.
Old 12-15-99, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Zizz...
I agree with your interpretation of the back cover of "The Final Cut". However, I do think that the rumor that it is Water's response to the movie (which I read about years ago in the Pink Floyd bio "Saucerful Of Secrets") is pretty interesting. Not true....just an interesting rumor.

I haven't listened to Pink Floyd in years, but when I was a fan, I always thought that "The Final Cut" was an incredibly underrated album....even by Floyd fans.

------------------
Old 12-16-99, 08:04 PM

I agree about The Final Cut--it is tremendously underrated. It sold less than a third as many copies as the embarrasingly bad "Pink Fake" A Momentary Lapse of Reason. I got that cd for christmas of last year, and have only had the patience to listen to it once. I think The Final Cut is Waters' best album thematically (not the best music, but the strongest and most powerfully expressed themes).