Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: "Diabolique" (Criterion)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: "Diabolique" (Criterion)

Old 12-16-99, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subject says it all.
Old 12-17-99, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Nice transfer with no extras to speak of. I don't want to spoil the movie by giving away the plot in case you haven't seen it before, but you should get a few chills out of it. Made by Henri-Georges Clouzot, France's Hitchcock, back in 1954. The film was supposed to influence Hitchcock before he made Psycho. Remade years later in the U.S. with Sharon Stone and Chazz Palinteri.
Old 12-17-99, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
I'll agree weith Franchot. The lack of extras is the only downside to this disc. The transfer is great and the movie is very riveting. I would say this is a must own DVD if you enjoy the classics of film.
Old 12-17-99, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll second (or rather, third) the recommendations above. In addition to the lack of extras (other than the illustrious color bars), the other downside is that it is non-anamorphic. Film-wise, if you haven't seen it, my only comment is that Vera Cluozot (Henri-George Clouzot's wife) is not as accomplished an actress as Simone Signoret, and tends to be overshadowed. In addition to the film's influence on "Psycho", check out the inspector's modus operandi, which is said to be the inspiration for Columbo. Personally, I preferred Clouzot's other Criterion released film, "Wages of Fear" over "Les Diaboliques", but I certainly made room in my collection for both.