Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Run Lola Run--did anyone NOT like this movie?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Run Lola Run--did anyone NOT like this movie?

Old 12-09-99, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I missed it in the theatrical run and am considering just buying it sight unseen on DVD, as all I have heard are rave reviews and it seems to be the type of film I would enjoy.

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?

--Apparition
Old 12-10-99, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the movie and liked it, but I can see that many wouldn't. For one thing, it's very German - it throws in odd little animation bits here and there, and it's fueled by a German techno-ish soundtrack (iirc.) It's quite different from a mainstream American film, so you may want to rent first.

My best description: Think Groundhog Day meets Pulp Fiction meets Oktoberfest.

- David Stein
Old 12-10-99, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It'll be hard to find someone who didn't like it. Because of the very limited release, those who saw it in the theaters probably knew something about it or heard the rave reviews and made an effort to see it. I love sfsdfd's description: "Think Groundhog Day meets Pulp Fiction meets Oktoberfest," and the more I think about it, the more he's right. As always...

My Run Lola Run Review

=Blake=
|

Old 12-10-99, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have not seen the movie, but due to all the exemplary reviews I am preordering it.
I also ordered IRON GIANT because of the reviews.
I haven't been steered wrong yet!
If you use a coupon to preorder you won't really lose out.

------------------
DVD: It's in my blood ; just not in my wallet! http://www.dvdtracker.com/~smokedragon.asp
Old 12-10-99, 11:33 PM

I saw Run Lola Run in a theatre near LA, it was awesome. Just confirming what everyone's already said- definately worth buying.
Old 12-11-99, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I have said before:

quote:<HR>On Run Lola, Run:
Yes, I have seen the film. I found it to be another in a long line of ultra-hip movies that have come down the pike since Quentin Tarantino decided to resurrect Godardian metafictional storytelling. Of the films that have followed this line since Pulp Fiction, it is one of the better ones (certainly better than a film like Trainspotting) but I never could get completely into it. It's techniques seemed to just be techniques, with no purpose beyond wowing the audience. By the end, the Lola character did win me over, so I would give the film a marginal thumbs up.<HR>

However, my tastes tend to run contrary to the rest of the collective, so you are probably safe in buying it.

------------------
"If it were all in the script, why make the film?"--Nicholas Ray

Old 12-15-99, 03:33 PM

Well, since Blip didn't think too much of it, I'm pretty sure I'll like it. Just kidding...heh.

Thanks for the responses. I liked both Groundhog's Day and Pulp Fiction, so judging from your comments, I'll probably like it. Now the only question is whether to buy now or wait and see if someone gives it me for Xmas... (difficult decision bcz prices generally go up after it's released)

--Apparition