Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

A Look At 14 Of This Week's Releases

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

A Look At 14 Of This Week's Releases

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-99, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are short reviews of what I've seen so far this week. If you would like to read the full reviews, please visit my website at:

A Guide To Current DVD

Apocalypse Now: Wonderful image quality with goregous colors and images that are crisp and sharp throughout. A few nice little extras; a deleted sequence with commentary by Ford Coppola himself and portions of the theatrical program.

Beavis and Butthead Do America and South Park: The Movie: Both very funny movies and although the image quality on both is good and does reveal all of the details of this very basic animation, the image quality on "South Park" is crisper and more impressive. Sound on both is fine.

Chinatown: Absolutely beautiful new anamorphic transfer and although a scene or two looks a little soft, the great majority of this presentation is stunning. Sound is clear and without problems.

Entrapment: Very good although not flawless non-anamorphic transfer and enjoyable audio quality. No extras except for a couple of trailers, unfortunately.

Heavy Metal: Absolutely outstanding special edition of the cult animated film, with an image that looks smooth, clean and clear with great colors and very enjoyable audio. The strongest point of the disc is certainly the extras: a commentary and a reading of his book by "Heavy Metal" historian Carl Macek are two of the audio tracks, and the entire rough cut of the movie is included. Recommended.

Iron Giant: What a wonderful film and what a shame that this lasted for such a short time in the theaters. The anamorphic transfer is goregous with incredibly rich colors. The audio is also enveloping throughout. Excellent and highly recommended.

Peter Pan and Lady and The Tramp: Both are fine in the audio/video department, but neither have even a trailer included.

Last Of The Mohicans: Mixed feelings: not that much is different in this "director's edition" and although the audio is excellent, the image quality is good, but not great. For $34.95, there's not even a trailer included. Bummer.

Trial and Error: Very impressive anamorphic widescreen image quality, and although the picture is not the original aspect ratio (the DVD is 2:1, while the theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1), the quality is certainly excellent. Audio though, is pretty basic.

U2: Rattle and Hum: Good looking anamorphic image of the black and white concert, but the audio is the real highlight on songs like "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", where the voices of a Harlem choir fill the room with beautiful sound.

River Runs Through It: Although the sound is fairly basic, the picture quality is excellent with crisp, clear images and beautiful colors.

I also plan to review many more of this week's titles, like The Haunting, Feeling Minnesota and A Bug's Life: CE later this weekend or into early next week.

COMING NEXT WEEK:

Midsummer Night's Dream: Very good non-anamorphic image shows off the beautiful looking costumes and sets of the film; audio is enjoyable as well. Unfortunately, only a trailer included.
Old 11-28-99, 12:20 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DVDRules1, I visited your full-length review for U2: RATTLE AND HUM and noticed an error on your part. You mention that the songs "Ruby Tuesday" and "Sympathy for the Devil" are advertised on the packaging, but are absent from the film, and that this is likely a misprint. In point of fact, during the middle of U2's electric performance of "Bad", Bono segues from the lyrics of the song to sing, "Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday. Who could hang a name on you? Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday. Who could hang a name on you?" (from the Rolling Stone's "Ruby Tuesday") then, immediately thereafter, "Pleased to meet you. I hope you guess my name. Oh, yeah! You know I'm pleased to me you. I hope you guess my name. Oh, yeah!" (from the Rolling Stone's "Sympathy for the Devil"). I'll admit it's kind of ridiculous that the packaging touts two songs that are only referenced through "two-liners", but technically, it's no misprint, so you should probably revise your review.

U2 RULES ALL!!!

www.dvdtracker.com/~filmmaker
www.laserdisctracker.com/~filmmaker.asp