Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Brief Review: The Relic

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-99, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rushed out to buy this one when it first came out. The promise of a nice new 16x9 transfer was too much to resist, I even paid close to list price! (the horror! ).

Imagine my disappointment when it turned out to be hands-down the BLURRIEST transfer I've ever seen among 130+ owned or rented DVDs. I don't know how to explain it, but note that this isn't some pedantic DVD fanatic whining. The picture is outrageously soft. It hurts to watch it.

Others have complained the transfer is far too dark as well. This may be true. However, I clearly remember watching this in the theatre and there were several scenes where my friend turned to me pissed off that nothing was visible on screen. This was intended to be an excessively dark movie (at least based on the theatre version I saw). Whether the DVD transfer makes it even more so is up for debate. Perhaps the Video Essential settings aren't all they're cracked up to be.

But that's really a moot point because the softness is what kills the transfer. Terrible! If you're watching on anything larger than 30inches, it will become unbearable.