Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Wizard of Oz Quick Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-99, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got The Wizard of Oz DVD (not from a retail store - including on-line). This DVD is great. I'm glad that Warner Bros. took the time to do this right. I'm sure you know the features, and all of them are great. I haven't had a chance to watch the behind-the-scenes documentary, but the Outtakes and deleted scenes are great to watch and the 'Extensive Audio Program of Original Recording Session Material and Radio Broadcasts' is a great feature. I just turned it on and left to enjoy the music from Oz. I think that many other DVDs should include this. Wouldn't it be a good idea to, say pay $5-$7 more and get the Soundtrack on the DVD as well? Overall a great DVD, especially if you love The Wizard of Oz.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll let you know. I turned on Email Notification so I'll get back to ya fast.

Buy this DVD if you didn't pre-order it. I can't seem to find the $8 off from 800.com, maybe it expired, but still, this is a great DVD for your collection.

Blake Kunisch | | |
<small>Special Editions Thread | DVD Reviews</small>
In Theaters Now Forum Moderator
Old 10-18-99, 09:33 PM

blake,

I've pre-ordered this item today.
Could you tell me more specifically about its picture and sound quality? I also have a question about its case. As I read from on-line stores, the case will be clamshell(jewel case sized) instead of snap case or keep case. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

Young

[This message has been edited by yspak (edited 10-18-1999).]
Old 10-18-99, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The picture and sound quality are very good. The picure is especially clear. I received an e-mail from a fellow DVDTalker stating that he couldn't get the Dolby Surround to work and I can't test it here at college. The copy that I received is in a snapper case.

=Blake=
Old 10-19-99, 03:12 AM
Cool New Member

Blake,

Sounds like you got the remastered version. I know there are two versions, remastered and deluxe remastered w/posters.

I dont care for the posters, but I do want all the extra DVD commentaries, deleted scenes and interviews there are. Does the remastered version have this? It is at Reel.com for $14.99, I want to get it, but I dont want to end up missing all the DVD goodies if they are only on the deluxe w/posters addition.

Please clarify which one you bought, and any advice for my future purchase,

Thanks in advance,

Tim C

Old 10-19-99, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still have the deluxe remastered w/posters on pre-order from 800.com. The one I received contains:

» Behind-the-scenes documentary hosted by Angela Lansbury
» Vintage Movie and Cartoon Clips
» Theatrical Trailers
» 2 English Soundtracks: Dobly Surround 5.1 and Original Mono
» Outtake Musical Numbers
» Newsreel Excerpts
» Cast Interviews
» Shooting Script
» Extensive Audio Program of Original Recording Session Material and Radio Broadcasts
» Interactive Menus
» Scene Access
» Languages and Subtitles (English and French)

Catalog Number: 1256951232
ISBN: 0-7907-4517-8

From DVDFile:
» The only difference is that the deluxe edition contains 1. rare still photos and 2. color theatrical poster reproductions (click on urls below for more).
Wizard of Oz: Special Edition
Wizard of Oz: Deluxe Edition Gift Set

Hope this helps,
=Blake=
Old 10-20-99, 09:26 AM
rnation

Just for reference, I just got the deluxe edition with the posters and Script. This is great for the collector, but it does have the EXACT copy of the dvd as the $14.99 version. So don't be afraid, go buy it!
Old 10-21-99, 02:32 PM
MakeUMelt

I ordered mine yesterday from 800.com and now I'm getting impatient, thanks to you all ).... Just kidding. Is the B&W parts true B&W or sepia-tones? No biggee either way I just want to know.
Old 10-22-99, 12:04 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I have to agree. This is a great disc!

I was a bit confused when I saw a widescreen trailer for the 1998 theatrical rerelease. And I thought, "Um, but I thought the original was 1.33?!" So, I did a little online research and turned this up at Classic Images ...

" ... two different versions of Wizard re-release were prepared in order to deal with the problem that most theaters nationwide are not equipped to run films in the original 1 x 1.33 aspect ratio. The vast majority of the houses got an Eastmancolor print (manufactured by the Technicolor company) that had an image reduction of about 5 percent so that when it was projected with the standard 1 x 1.85 aperture plates, little or none of the picture would be cut off. ... A few theaters ran special Academy ratio prints which were also printed by Technicolor in its recently revived (and improved) dye transfer process. Mann’s Chinese was one of four theaters in Los Angeles that ran one of these prints in the 1 x 1.33 ratio that was once standard everywhere."

For a moment, I wondered if Warner Bros had developed time-travel technology. -N!

------------------
MY DVDs: A study in addiction
THE FAKE NEWS: An e-zine for NORM MACDONALD fans

[This message has been edited by noelgross (edited 10-21-1999).]