Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Paths of Glory DVD!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-99, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just watched Paths of Glory for the first time and my immediate impression is that it's my favorite Kubrick film. For anyone that likes war movies, this is a given but anyone that likes great movies in general (no pun intended) should check this one out!

-Jon
Old 09-30-99, 03:08 PM

Jon, I totally agree with your opinion about POG - great flick. But my buddy hates it exactly because he loves war movies, and this is actually a thought-provoking anti-war movie (IMO). The stereotypical war movie has good guys and bad guys who are clearly defined and separated on each side, and that's definitely not true in POG as you know, and that's what my buddy hates. So, I would recommend that those who like rah-rah war movies like Patton rent POG first - you just might hate the ambiguity of who's good and who's bad.
--Jim

------------------
My DVD list
Old 09-30-99, 09:20 PM

Stats-
You may be right about that. I'm not a fan of the traditional war movies so I didn't consider that this may not appeal to fans of that genre. I prefer films like the Steel Helmet and, obviously POG. Good point.

-Jon
Old 10-04-99, 12:25 AM

I agree about "rah-rah war movie" fans not liking PoG, but I don't think Patton was a rah-rah war movie. It presented an entire war from the view-point of one man, while showing exactly where the war was right (defeat the Nazis) and where it was wrong (cozy up to the Communists). It also showed that a man like Patton had to be relieved after his short-sighted purpose of winning the war was over. It clearly showed that Patton was just a man.
Old 10-05-99, 03:10 PM

Good points, 3rainiac. I haven't seen Patton in years, and was probably just remembering Scott's great monologue, which stands out as "rah-rah." I have it on pre-order, and can't wait to refresh my memory about this movie.

--Jim

------------------
My DVD list