Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Confession

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-99, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know anything about this movie? It has Alec Baldwin and Ben Kingsley and the DVD looks pretty loaded as well. Wondering how the movie/plot was.
Old 08-11-99, 05:12 PM

Here is a review from the Apollo Gudie - http://apolloguide.com/mov_revtemp.asp?CId=1344 There are some user reviews at the IMDB.com I missed it on cable and it streets next tuesday and hope to get a chance to see it even though this reviewer wasn't too happy with it.

------------------
Richard
DVD Talk Forum Moderator

Webmaster -
DVD Addiction

My DVD Tracker List

Old 08-26-99, 05:28 PM

The
Confession
1.85:1
3 Audio Commentaries
Trailers
Trivia Game
Lots more
114 minutes
Rated R

Movie:
This is the story of a good father played by Ben Kingsley that takes his young to the hospital when he complains of stomach pain. While in the emergency room the clerk tells him he has to wait his turn even though his son is in obvious pain. Then he takes him outside where he sees a doctor and a nurse smoking a cigarette. When he asks them to look at his son they refuse and tell him to wait his turn. So they get in a taxi to head to another hospital when the son passes away in the car. You come to find out he had acute appendicitis. Cut to 6 weeks later when the father can't take the pain anymore so he kills the 3 people he felt could have saved his son's life. And then he turns himself in and confesses to the crime. This is where Alec Baldwin comes in. He is an immoral defense attorney that is on his way to becoming Assistant DA. He takes the case for a friend who wants him found innocent for reason of insanity. From there it deals with what is right. Ben Kingsley wants to go to jail for however long it takes and doesn't want to be spared time for an insanity plea. The movie has a slower pace but picks up near the last half an hour as you watch Alec Baldwin's character change into a better person and the story changes focus to why someone would want the defendant found innocent because of insanity. Overall a descent story with good actors.
Video:
1.85:1, good picture.
Audio:
Dolby Digital Surround
Extras:
1st Audio Commentary with Director David Jones and David Black.
2nd Audio Commentary with Actors Alec Baldwin and Amy Irving.
3rd Audio Commentary with Actors Ben Kingsley and Producer Corrinne Mann.
Interactive Menus.
Biographies and Filmographies
Featurette with legal expert and law professor Stan Goldman.
Photo Gallery
Trivia Game
Theatrical Trailer
Trailers for Legionnaire, Progeny, Space Truckers, and A Murder of Crows
DVD-Rom features-
Screenplay

Summary:
I was intrigued when I saw the trailer for this movie. But I find it hard to believe that when you take a kid into a hospital they won't at least look at him before telling him to wait his turn. As a former health care professional it doesn't work that way but for the story to work they had to put it that way. The movie does run the gamut of emotions and does take the story in an interesting direction when they make you really hate Alec Baldwin near the middle of the movie and then you feel a little better about him at the end. As for the disk if you like this movie there is plenty here for you. Three, count um three commentaries. Each one good in its own way. This is more of a movie to buy than to rent because there is a lot of value in this disk from Sterling's new Millennium Series that I am really liking.
Movie ****
Extras *****
Overall ****½

Director:
David Jones

Cast:
Alec Baldwin
Ben Kingsley
Amy Irving
Jay O. Sanders
Kevin Conway
Richard Jenkins