Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Return to Paradise-or-A Simple Plan, Which should I buy?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Return to Paradise-or-A Simple Plan, Which should I buy?

Old 05-29-99, 12:08 PM
jasonbird

been thinking of buying one, or both of these
but I haven't seen either. I trust everyone
here, Has anyone seen these movies? which is
better? Do they warrant repeat viewings?
Thanks all!
Jason
Old 05-29-99, 01:07 PM
anglagard

"A Simple Plan" is remarkable. Do yourself a BIG favor and get that one.
You won`t be disappointed.
Old 05-29-99, 08:08 PM
jasonbird

anglagard,
Did myself a favor! and I did it for under
$9...Thanks!

Anyone have any info on Return to Paradise?

Jason
Old 05-31-99, 03:38 PM
chuckd21

If there were any two movies that were the opposite end of the "good-bad" spectrum in 1998, it's A Simple Plan and Return to Paradise. Without a doubt, A Simple Plan should be your DVD of choice.

Chuck Dowling
The Jacksonville Film Journal
Old 05-31-99, 05:37 PM
polarbear

I guess I should go order A Simple Plan now, I was also wondering if this movie would be worth getting. I do own Shallow Grave which I heard is similar, but more violent.
Old 05-31-99, 06:36 PM
absinthe

Another vote here for "A Simple Plan" (although I haven't seen "Return to Paradise" yet). A tremendously good film. Probably the "sleeper" of the year. Plus, you get an anamorphic transfer of a film that warrants multiple viewings!!!

abs
Old 06-09-99, 08:40 PM
Jeff

Any extras?
Old 06-09-99, 11:26 PM
Blake

What the hell are you guys talking about???? Return to Paradise was one of the most underrated films last year and was one of my first DVDs. A Simple Plan on the other hand is a basic retelling of an age-old plot with new characters and maybe one new twist. Do yourself a favor and get Return to Paradise. I don't know what these people saw in A Simple Plan - it was boring, predictable and stupid.

For more information, see my reviews of each of these movies and make the decision yourself. I guess it doesn't really matter now that you wasted your money on A Simple Plan, but I just read this thread and couldn't believe people would recommend A Simple Plan over Return to Paradise - they're not even close in caliber.

Return to Paradise Review
A Simple Plan Review

Blake Kunisch | [email protected]
An Outermost Experience! | DVD Tracker List
Old 06-10-99, 12:23 PM
epski

I walked out of Return to Paradise. It was a beautiful day, and I couldn't be bothered to sit through a boring, poorly constructed movie.

------------------
~epski

http://www.dvdtracker.com/~epski.asp
Old 06-10-99, 02:08 PM
bob_mandel

I have to agree with Blake. I really enjoyed Return to Paradise...it may not be the best constructed movie, but it sure is thought provoking. It is also not your typical Hollywood movie. I think Heche and Vaughn are excellent. I'm not positive however, if the disc is anamorphic. I'll have to double check. Epski, a beautiful day outside and you're going to the movies? You shouldn't have bothered regardless the movie!!!

Bob
Old 06-10-99, 03:00 PM
The Zizz

A Simple Plan is MUCH better than return to paradise. Sam Raimi did a great job of directing the movie, and the acting is outstanding, particularly Billy Bob Thornton, who I believe should;ve won best supporting actor over James Coburn.
Old 06-11-99, 12:01 PM
jaymart

Even though it appears jasonbird has already made his purchase I thought I would throw my two cents in. I have seen both movies and would say that A Simple Plan is by far the better of the two. The acting is great and it has a qality that reminds me of Fargo (a great movie in its own right.)

P.S. Jasonbird, where did you buy A Simple Plan from so cheap.
Old 06-11-99, 02:37 PM
jasonbird

jaymart,

I preordered it at buy.com with one of their
$10 coupons. It was $14.99 plus shipping
minus the coupon and it came to about 8 bucks,
can't remember the exact amount.
Jason

P.S. I think I'll go ahead and rent Return to
Paradise and see for myself, since I already
ordered the other.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 06-28-99, 09:23 AM
gotdvd

I have to agree with Blake. Return To Paradise is an outstanding film. I've always enjoyed movies that make you think. A Simple Plan was also a good movie, though as Blake said, it's not very unique.

Did you get a chance to rent Return To Paradise yet? Just wondering what you thought of it.

------------------
www.dvdtracker.com/~gotdvd.asp

Old 06-30-99, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to admit, when I sat down to watch Return to Paradise I was prepared to be underwhelmed. I was quite pleasantly surprised when I was treated to an excellent movie, complete with plot, character development, true acting, and an ending I could savor.

It made me wonder why the hell I left Thailand in the first place? But then I pour myself an ice-cold glass of milk, pop in a new DVD, sit back in air-conditioned comfort and know why.
Old 07-03-99, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally saw Return to Paradise.
Had a free rental from Blockbuster. This
movie was really good. I thought as Dramas
go, probably in the top 10 of last year.
Don't know if it's a buy over a rent, without
extras.

I did buy A Simple Plan, but haven't
watched it yet.

Thanks to all for your replies!!
Jason
Old 07-07-99, 02:38 AM

Return to Paradise is a great movie. I purchased the DVD, and it looks great, only trailor is provided as extras. I liked A Simple Plan, but I thought it was too much of a bummer movie. And is not a movie I would want to watch again and again.

PS- Return To Paradise is 16.45 at 800.com, I would seriously suggest you use the $8 coupon if you haven't used it yet
Old 07-07-99, 12:08 PM

I've got to go with the majority on this one. Simple Plan was one of the best movies last year, period. Return to Paradise was a good idea that got stale rather quickly. On top of that, it had one of my major pet peeves, a shoehorned in love story. I don't have a problem with love stories, but so many films have an unnecessary love story tacked on, probably at the studios' insistence in order to deliver(according to their studies) a higher female demographic. Whoops! What was the topic? Oh yeah. You made the right choice.
Old 07-07-99, 01:57 PM

Without generating a spoiler here, I think you entirely missed the point on this, Glenn S. The love story is not gratuitous but integral to the plot.

Bob (edited for clarity.)

[This message has been edited by bob_mandel (edited 07-07-1999).]
Old 07-08-99, 05:50 PM

Wow!

Just because you might really like one of these films, doesn't mean you have to hate the other...how did that start? In my book, they're both pretty darn good movies. I'd probably give the edge to A Simple Plan, mostly because the acting is just stellar (and the shotgun blasts just about knocked me AND my dog off the couch).

-d