Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: The Bride with White Hair

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: The Bride with White Hair

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-99, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reel has a nice price on this during their Summer Warehouse sale. Could someone please post a review? I like Hong Kong films, but I'm really only familiar with John Woo, Chow Yun-Fat, Jet Li, and Jackie Chan movies. Is this DVD worth purchasing unseen?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 06-22-99, 11:05 PM

Hi, if you like Hong Kong movie, and can bear the sub par picture quality, you should like this movie, too. The Bride w/White Hair is better than its sequel, though I though that the villain was kinda corny in there. But it's definitely a cool film.
Old 06-23-99, 11:19 AM

Ed Sabol,
While I have never seen the DVD of this, I do have the movie. It's one of the easier Hong Kong imports to find at Blockbuster or Hollywood video. I'd suggest renting it first (if you're not one of those forum members who can no longer stomach VHS ) I didn't like it at all, but I seem to be in the minority. Get ready for lots of flying people and slo-mo fight scenes. But then again I only saw the Dub, it may very well be a much better movie subbed...

Here's a review of both the movie and disc quality...
http://www.dvdreview.com/html/the_br...hite_hair.html

[This message has been edited by jess.s (edited 06-23-1999).]
Old 06-23-99, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the responses and especially for the dvdreview.com link, Jess.s. I vaguely remember reading that sometime last year, but I couldn't remember the URL.

We have one vote in favor of the movie and one against. Anyone else have a view point on this movie?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 06-23-99, 10:02 PM

jess, no wonder. You saw the entire movie <color=red>dubbed</color>. Echhh. That is no way to see a Hong Kong movie.
By the way, the version at 800.com + Reel.com does have 3 tracks, one english, please don't use it, and also cantonese + manderin.
Old 06-23-99, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've seen it, and unless you like Wire-Fu movies, it might not be your cup of tea. I have to ability to understand most of the Mandarin dialog, so I usually listen to that track when it comes to Hong Kong movies (but sometimes I will fall back and turn on the English subtitles).

That being said, I liked the movie/DVD, and it does come with a director's commentary track by Ronnie Yu (Bride of Chucky). I liked the performances of the leads, Leslie Chueng and Bridgette Lin. The story was of tragic love, and blended with Wire-Fu gives it a surreal feel..

[This message has been edited by Patman (edited 06-24-1999).]
Old 06-24-99, 05:23 PM

I used to own this movie. I bought it without watching it first after reading the review at dvdreview.com. I sold it recently.
I never watched it more than once. I don't recommend it.
Old 06-26-99, 10:37 PM

Well, I sort of like Wire-Fu, or least what I've seen. I certainly liked The Matrix, and I like Big Trouble in Little China, though the Wire-Fu sword fights in the latter are somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Leslie Cheung is cool too. He was fabulous in Farewell My Concubine! (Man, I wish that movie was on DVD!)

But I think I'll pass on this DVD unless some more advocates of the film post here and convince me otherwise.
Old 06-27-99, 02:51 PM

Someone once loaned me her copy of BWWH with a rave, but I saw it and went HUH?! It's more of a HK art film to me than anything else. I stuck it out all the way to the end of the film, which is truly off the wall! Let's just say the villain is a Siamese twin with one side male, and the other female, who laughs irritatingly for what seems like an eternity. This film has a strong cult following, but I'm sticking to the likes of Chow Yun Fat & Jet Li.