Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

1941 CE

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-99, 02:15 AM
The Zizz

I just watched 1941 for the first time, and I really loved the movie. A lot of people criticize it, but I thought it was great. The cast, especially Robert Stack and John Belushi, do a great job. The scene with Toshiro Mifune and Slim Pickens on the submarine is priceless.

Many people complain about the picture quality of this disc--I agree that its not pristine, but during most of the movie its adequete. It's worst at the beginning, but is acceptable for most of the film. Still, this is probably the best transfer of the movie you can find on home video. Sound quality was fine--not bad, not exceptional.

As far as extras, the dvd is pretty good. It is Spielberg's extended director's cut, and I think it has about 25 or so minutes of footage cut from the theatrical release. The best supplement is a 1 hour and 45 minute (!) making of documentary that is simply outstanding. It has interviews with Spielberg, Robert Zmeckis, Bob Gale, and many others. This is the second best making of documentary I've seen on dvd, behind only the one on 12 monkeys. This documentary by itself would warrant checking out the disc, even if the movie wasn't on it.
Other extras include some deleted scenes, a production photo gallery, and a marketing photo gallery. Unfotunately, the trailer isn't included.
If you're a fan of the movie, you'll probably want to pick it up. If you haven't seen it, give it a rent from netflix or somewhere else--it's a great time.
The Zizz
Old 06-10-99, 03:23 AM
anglagard

The Zizz,
I couldn`t agree with you more. The DVD
(and the film itself) have gotten an
undeserved bad rap. It`s one of my favorite discs.
Old 06-10-99, 12:22 PM
Brion

I agree, too. 1941 has always been a fun film that I think has come under much undeserved derision. I bought the laserdisc when it came out, then I bought the DVD when IT came out. Sure, it's not 1999-picture-or-sound-quality, but hey! does it matter as long as the fun is there and that great documentary accompanies it? I'm very glad this disc is out in this longer version.

Now, if only IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD or THE GREAT RACE would come out on DVD...
Old 06-27-99, 07:30 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Zizz, I just purchased the Collector's Edition of 1941 and not only is the trailer included but more than one is to be found. They are located on the second "page" of the bonus materials menu.