Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Rogers & Hammerstein reissues

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Rogers & Hammerstein reissues

Old 06-22-99, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think THX and Fox should be embarassed over the quality of picture AND sound for "Carousel", "South Pacific" and "The King and I" on DVD. I eagerly awaited these and snapped up all three. THX control didn't do a thing for frame pauses at the end and start of chapters, flicker, poor sound and various other annoyances. Perhaps I expect too much but I thought THX meant some sort of guarantee of a superb transfer!
Old 06-23-99, 01:54 AM
Cool New Member

I bought SOUTH PACIFIC and THE KING AND I when they came out. I think the 5.1 DD sound is terrific (much better sounding than the 2.0 mixes) and that the transfers are very nice and very pleasing. SOUTH PACIFIC does look like it "freezes" in a few places (mostly during the song "Bali Ha'i"), but someone told me it also did that on the laserdiscs and is the best that can be done.
Old 06-24-99, 12:35 PM

I didn't think THX certification had anything to do with the picture, only the sound.
Old 06-25-99, 07:37 AM

I have both South Pacific and The King and I. I agree that the THX logo on the packaging should insure better quality. My biggest gripe about these titles is their lack of 16x9 enhancement. I think they could have re-mastered the soundtracks as well. After all, these are MUSICALS and the sound is a key feature!