Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Apt Pupil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-99, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know most critics disliked this movie. I was just wondering what everyone else thought. I remember seeing the trailer and wanting to see it. Is it worth buying?

------------------
jason
Old 06-22-99, 01:10 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The movie is very deliberately paced, which is my main complaint with it. In my opinions, movies much be visual in nature, to some degree, or there's little point in filming them. This is a story based 99% in dialogue, and it is a compelling one to be sure, but it becomes a bit trying after awhile in a visual medium. The original Stephen King novella upon which the film is based is far superior. Stories that are almost nothing but dialogue in their entirety are much better suited to literature than film, in my opinion. I know hardcore fans of independent film will likely disagree with me, but that's my belief, and I'd be happy to argue it elsewhere. Additionally, during the more chilling parts of the story, the film tends to only hint at the horrors, whereas King's story gives them to you head-on. Having said that, the performances are fine, and the storyline is intelligent--it is just incredibly laconic. I will be buying this DVD, more as a fan of King than as a fan of this particular film, but I would highly recommend renting it first before you put your money down.

[This message has been edited by Filmmaker (edited 06-22-1999).]
Old 06-22-99, 01:50 PM

Filmmaker,

I totally agree with you. This is one movie that people totally differ on. I have friends that think it is one of the best movies ever made. I on the other hand, was not very impressed by it; to me it just got too ridiculous. My advice is to rent it, otherwise, you may end up with a definite once viewed FT on your hands.

------------------
-anywayz, My DVDs

Old 06-22-99, 02:14 PM

Stinker. Over-glorified TV movie. Disappointment. Skip it.

------------------
~epski

http://www.dvdtracker.com/~epski.asp
Old 06-22-99, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just watched the DVD for the first time last night! I was kinda disappointed- a) it was not a thriller, as you would expect with S. King movies, b) It did not have any scary or even suspenseful scenes that would justify the quotes from critics on the box cover about it being "absolutely chilling" and "heart-stopping", c) it was not the "face of evil" movie others have made it out to be, and d) it was not a movie that relayed the horrors of the holocaust despite that being the premise for the lead character's obsession. Not bad if I had rented it, but not a movie I would repeatedly watch.