Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Video Essentials: Rent a couple times or Buy?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Video Essentials: Rent a couple times or Buy?

Old 06-14-99, 08:03 PM
Peat

Hey Guys,

I've read about this disc and apparantly it's a good one to have around. I don't have a huge set-up, just DVD, sorry no speakers(but I will soon, hopefully) so is there really a neccesity to buy or should I just rent whenever it's needed. I'd expecially like feedback from people with a similar set-up, but as always all feedback is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------
Peat.
Email:[email protected]
Old 06-14-99, 10:02 PM
Buffs

The answer to your question depends on a couple of things. First: Are you going to move your TV ever? Second: Are you going to replace your TV ever? If either of these answers is "yes", then you probably want the DVD to own. I've used it several times for both sound and picture, but I've also replaced my TV and moved once. ANY TV can be improved greatly by this disc. In my opinion, it's a must own. You can find it on ebay pre-owned sometimes for pretty good prices. Word of caution: You'll find it difficult to watch regular tv with the adjusted settings, so check that your TV has a 'memory' setting or 'theater' setting you can switch to while watching DVDs.
Old 06-17-99, 08:57 AM
Brian Shannon

I would purchase it for one reason. If you are trying to build a collection of DVD's that will someday be worth much, much more than the cost of this disc, you will want to have this. You never know when you might need to tweak your system and besides, what if you couldn't find it to rent? Also, think of how you can impress your friends and family when you tell them that you can make their system better.
Old 06-18-99, 08:58 AM
billm

The disc is great for tweaking your set yet when I was done I found out that the proper settings were pretty much close to what I had my controls set for all along.
Old 06-18-99, 11:26 AM
RichardDVD

I had the problem of renting it and now I want it back. Buffs is right about the setting not being good for regular tv. I don't have a memory function so as soon as I sent the disk back my tv was too dark but it looked great on the movies. Now it is out of whack again and I am thinking about picking it up myself. So I would say buy if you are going to get a new tv or system or whatever any time soon. It is worth it to make sure everything is tweaked.

------------------
Richard

My DVD Tracker List

Richard's DVD Stop

Old 06-18-99, 12:51 PM
Hanson

It's a definite purchase. If you're constantly tweaking your system or you're constantly upgrading, owning VE is a must. I bought back in November '98, and since then I've:

Bought a new widescreen TV
Bought an SPL meter
Bought new speakers
Moved to a new place

So that's five times I absolutely needed it on top of the innumerable tweaks and checks of geometry, speaker settings, and contrast level.

Do you even get the blue filter with a rental? It's really not possible to adjust the color properly without it.
Old 06-18-99, 03:55 PM
Peat

Thanks all for the comments, looks like I'll pick this baby up in the next couple of weeks. It retailes for about $80CDN, so I'll end up buying it from DVDExpress with one of them coupons.

Old 06-19-99, 07:56 PM
Buffs

That's really weird, because I bought mine at BEST BUY..that's right...RETAIL! for $40 about a year ago. There's no way you should pay more than that.
Old 06-22-99, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But it but buy it cheap. It's not worth the $40 most sell it for. It is an excellent setup disk for color, alignment, sound etc. and you will find new uses for it as your equipment expands and your tastes become more educated. I've seen it on sale. Maybe a price search would net you a deal. It's certainly worth having if you're serious about DVD.
Old 06-23-99, 12:04 AM
ela

I would suggest picking up AVIA instead of VE. While VE is very good, it is somewhat outdated. The AVIA DVD offers a lot more in the calibration/tweaking area in both sound and video. This DVD was just recently released.

------------------
Erik
Old 06-23-99, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 364 Likes on 216 Posts
I am glad I didn't have to buy my copy. When you brought the 1st generation Toshiba dvd players you were given a coupon to send in for a free copy of Video Essentials. Back than there were no such things as coupons and 30 to 40 percent off dvds, this dvd cost a pretty penny.

Kahuna