Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: "Big Night" and "The Imposters"

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted: "Big Night" and "The Imposters"

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-99, 07:04 PM
Gamblor187

Does anyone own "Big Night" on DVD? I love this movie, and I've been thinking about buying it. Just wanted to know how the transfer was, and if there are any extras (I'd love a commentary....or the recipes for all that great food).
Also, has anyone seen "The Imposters"? I've been planning on renting it. ( I don't understand why anyone would buy a movie they haven't seen, yet.) I know that renting is always the safe option...and usually cheap. However, I owe Blockbuster a lot of late fees from forgetting to return "Frankenstein" and "Bride Of Frankenstein" last week. ( I was getting myself psyched up for the "Gods and Monsters" DVD I have coming in the mail.) So, is it worth the $10 or so that I'll have to pay to rent it????

By the way, are there any plans to release "Frankenstein" or "Bride Of Frankenstein" on DVD? I'd love to own these.

Dead Good....Living Bad....
jim
Old 06-14-99, 08:10 PM
DVDer

I haven't seen either of those movies on DVD, but "The Big Night" has no features beside a theatrical trailer (it is anamorphic, though) and while "The Impostors" is considered a CE, the only extras I've heard about have been theatrical trailers (it presented in letterbox format).

There are plans to release James Whale's "Frankenstein" on DVD. Universal will release it, along with their classics "The Mummy" and "Dracula." All three discs will be non-CEs, and are set for a release that would tie-in with the CE of "The Mummy" remake (coming this fall).
Old 06-14-99, 10:10 PM
The Zizz

"The Impostors" is not considered a CE. Where did you here this? I've seen the box, and it doesn't mention anywhere that it is some kind of special edition (its not, as it has no features).
Stanley Tucci's great, though.

[This message has been edited by The Zizz (edited 06-14-1999).]

[This message has been edited by The Zizz (edited 06-14-1999).]
Old 06-14-99, 10:17 PM
DVDer

Amazon.com has it listed as Special Edition. Both Amazon and Reel have it listed as MSRP $34.99

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000ICUW /qid%3D929412704/002-7656975-2958219

Reel: http://www2.reel.com/Content/moviepage.asp?mmid=43530

The only explanation I can think of would be if FOX released it, as they overprice many featureless DVDs ("Cousin Bette," "Bulworth") and Amazon just made a mistake in labeling it a SE. On an unrelated note, I did spell the title right. (Sorry to drag that in, it's just that my brother and I had a little bet going the other day about how to spell this word, and I didn't think I'd have any opportunity in the future to share this knowledge, so I thought I would now.)

[This message has been edited by DVDer (edited 06-14-1999).]
Old 06-15-99, 01:11 AM
The Zizz

DVDer: spelling??? ;-)

Yes, it is a fox dvd--$35 list price for new movies regardless of features; kind of annoying, since I'm interested in movies like this and Waking Ned Devine, but they're not worth a $35 list price for a featureless dvd.
Old 06-15-99, 08:22 AM
Blade

Gamblor,

I hope you don't mind me intruding on your thread (as I can't comment on the transfers of these movies) but I was wondering why you liked Big Night so much.

I rented this because of the reviews, but I couldn't figure out what the movie was about. Was it just suppoesed to be a "day in the life" type of movie with no real point, or what?

I appreciate any light you can shed on this movie.

-David
Old 06-16-99, 12:59 AM
The Zizz

I really liked Big Night--but I can't explain why. I think you might have to be Italian to really get the movie.
Old 06-16-99, 02:32 PM
ed

I enjoyed and understood the "Big Night" on two levels; (1) I'm Italian, and (2) I'm a former professional chef.

At its very basic level this film is about relationships. In Italian families passions generally run pretty hot. Love and hate are different sides of the same coin, and love IS food to many Italians. They are unable to seperate the two!

When you happen to be an Italian and a chef you take imense pride in what you do. And when you're trained in the old country there is only one way to do things..the right way, and to do otherwise is betray the very nature of who you are.

That's why Primo has such inner strife in this film. Notice the ending where they make-up over the omelet and bread in the kitchen...that's Italian. Food is Love!

It's a cultural thing!

[This message has been edited by ed (edited 06-16-1999).]
Old 06-16-99, 06:20 PM
Blade

Well, I'm part Japanese, but I could see the love affair with food and the desire to do things the right way. I guess what really confused me was I couldn't tell if they were going to stay in America or go back home. Also, the movie didn't really seem to have a point. What was it trying to say?

Maybe I need to see it again.

I appreciate the replies, though.

-David
Old 06-18-99, 12:59 AM
The Zizz

Well, I think they were going to stay in america, but that's not what's important...the point is that the brothers are still together (at least that's what I think). And food (the scrambled eggs) somehow has a way of making everything seem alright. I don't know, I bet ed could explain this much better than I.
Old 06-18-99, 01:10 AM
Blade

Zizz,

Thank you! I think it finally clicked. That was the closure I was looking for.

I guess I didn't really catch on to the importance of the food the first time through. But I think all the comments about the food finally made it through my thick skull!

Maybe I will rent it again.

Hmmm. In rereading this I can see that it might come off as sarcastic, but I really am serious. I remember the scene you're talking about and the previous comments about the food helped too. Maybe I was too caught up in whether they would stay or go.

Thanks again,
-David
Old 06-18-99, 09:14 AM
ed

Zizz, you nailed it with the food, however my take on the ending is a little different.

To me the ending is very ambiguous - it's left up to the viewer to decide what happens to the brothers. The outcome is only limited by our own imaginations.

All we really know, because of meal they prepare and share, is that everything is OK between them regardless of where they go.

David, try watching it again, I think you'll connect the dots.
Old 06-18-99, 12:56 PM
The Zizz

I agree, ed, that the ending was supposed to be ambiguous; it's really left up to the viewer to decide what they think will happen.
Old 06-18-99, 01:08 PM
Blade

ed,

I agree with you completely.

I want to see the movie again, because I think I'll enjoy it more now.

Of course I have about 45 other movies to watch first, but I'm sure Blockbuster will be ready for me when I have the time.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out. It's pretty rare for me to not "get" a movie and this one had eluded me for awhile.

-David
Old 06-18-99, 04:43 PM
ed

David, it was our pleasure. Believe me, if I tried to figure out every movie which confused me during my lifetime I would have to be committed for shock therapy! BTW - you did "get" it. The movie was supposed to make you think, and that's just what it did.

[This message has been edited by ed (edited 06-18-1999).]
Old 06-21-99, 11:07 AM
DVDer

"Frankenstein" DVD Update: Universal has decided to release a restored Special Edition of the James Whale original, supposedly on August 17th.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ahber16.asp
Old 06-21-99, 12:56 PM
Gamblor187

First you give me information on the release of "Exotica" on DVD....And now "Frankenstein!!! DVDer...you are my DVD Goddess!!!!!

jim
Old 06-21-99, 01:42 PM
DVDer

Aw shucks, Gamblor, you made me blush!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ahber16.asp