DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Armageddon - Criterion How good is it?

Old 05-21-99, 02:35 AM
mapman

I already have the regular release of Armageddon but is the Criterion version worth getting? I thought it was a pretty good escapist flick w/good effects. Thoughts/opinions?
thanks,
mapman

Old 05-21-99, 03:38 AM
Frank A

It's not worth $50. But with a coupon at Reel or DVD Express, you can get it for $21-24. It's got alot of extras: commentaries by the Director, Bruce Willis, a Nasa scientist?; a funny (and vulgar) gag reel; deleted scenes and more. The video quality is noticably better than the earlier Disney release, and that version was pretty damn good. Oh, and it's a director's cut. There are a few more scenes in it. One I noticed was a scene with Willis and his father: a good scene you wouldn't want to miss.

Old 05-21-99, 07:32 PM
Ceej

It's worth owning, especially if you actually liked the movie. (I didn't like it at all at first, although it grew on me a bit, but I bought this DVD for the extras, and because I paid about $13 for it, shipped.. ) The supps aren't as extensive as you might surmise from the online descriptions, but they're virtually all actually good stuff. I especially liked the deleted scenes, the gag reel, and the SFX bit about the destruction of Paris sequence. The first commentary was moderately interesting as well; I need to listen to the second one to see how those NASA boys justify the horrendous scientific inaccuracies..

Old 05-22-99, 07:25 PM
thefixx

The two commentaries are interesting. The first, with director Michael Bay, Willis, and
Ben Afflick - is actually the weaker of the two -- Bay shows that he knows little about physics and science (while thinking he does), Willis sounds like he'd rather be doing something else... but... Affleck is a joy to hear -- mainly because he can't hide his own
cynical view about the movie. It's wonderful!

The second commentary I loved: not for the nasa scientists, but for the directory of cinemetography's description of how he shot the wonderful visuals (which were much better than the plot, IMHO). Personally, unless you
LOVE the movie, I'd just rent it from NetFlix if they have it, immerse yourself in all the extras for a couple of weeks, then send it back.

Old 05-24-99, 01:56 PM
mapman

Thanks for the replies guys.
The fixx- i may just rent it like you said,
save's me a reel coupon

Old 05-25-99, 05:49 PM
buck satan

Netflix balked on the criterion version
i pre ordered it and got the email the day after with a free coupon they just had the regular edition of armageddon as of then

Old 05-27-99, 12:28 AM
PetShopBoy

Can someone recognize the fact that both transfers of Armageddon are weak in the sound department?

The score wavers several times throughout the film, making a worbly sound. For example, just after Fat Max is blown out into space, exactly 2 hours into the film, and we're supposed to get all sad, the music starts to warble. The score is not that great to begin with, of course.

I got the Criterion version at a good price, but you would think for a disc(s) that retails at $40-$50, someone in Criterion's sound lab would have waken up and noticed this!?

My friend's DVD player also reveals this same problem, so it's not just my player.
Are there any audiophiles out there? Has anyone else noticed this?

Tomorrow Never Dies: SE, for the money, is much more enjoyable than Armageddon Criterion, and has more satisfying supplements as well. Save yourself a couple dollars and pick this one up.