DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Out of Sight DTS

Old 05-16-99, 06:59 PM
Woodpaq

Hello all,
Just wanted to post a review of this feature. Upon first rental of this movie (VHS), I could NOT see all the big hoopla of this movie. I also thought, like others, that this movie was rather slow, fair acting, and mega-average in terms of a total movie. BUT.....

I have received the DTS DVD (a really good price @ under $10) 2 weeks ago, and I finally got around to watching it today. I really contemplated opening it, but I'm soooo glad I did watch it. The first thing I must point out is the way the music (DTS) just grabs you by the collar and puts you in the mood of the movie. With that straight, next is the stunning picture. For some reason, I really was drawn into noticing the facial expressions, body talk, and general atmosphere of this flick, something I hadn"t noticed mearly as much on VHS. Because of this, I was able to really notice the chemistry of the cast, and really enjoy the acting of both the main scenes, as well as in action sequences.

Next was the incredible sound mix this DTS DVD features. FINALLY, a movie that sound like I think movies should sound like. My point? When the volume is set to a comfortable level, the dialog is smooth and believable, BUT, when the action starts, it automatically kicks in those levels needed to accurately simulate that atmosphere. I say this, because I oft times find myself adjusting levels between dialog and action sequences in order to get a 'believable' effect from the movie. Also, I really noticed that alot tof the scenes that involve guns actually SOUND like guns, involving all 6 channels, not just center, or a few of the surrounds. EXTREMELY believable, even frightening at times, without being excessive on the volume.
If you've ever seen this movie, just check out the gun shootout in the mansion at the end. It's very accurate acoustics for that size house and the bullet's echo effects

In conclusion, I'm glad I bought this DVD (on blind faith, and grudgingly). I now see the hype and praise of this film. RECOMMENDED!!!

Regards,
WPQ