Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

American History X

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-99, 02:43 PM
PoorBoy

Man, now this is a good movie. I rented this last night and let me tell you, this is one of those movies that makes your bladder hurt because you don't want to get up to go to the bathroom afraid you might miss something. I'm really at a loss of words after seeing this.

I really had no idea what the movie was about when I rented it although I heard it was a very graphic movie about Nazi's and shtuff. Very good movie, I don't know about the extras though, I didn't bother to even access the menus. I was too in awe of the film. I believe it's in 1.85 format widerscreen, but you'll never notice. I reccomend renting this first (for the weak of heart/stomach). I noticed a bunch of you were buying it and that might not be the best idea if you haven't seen it.

Synopsis: This movie picks up where Blues Brothers leaves off. The Illonois Nazis get out of their Station Wagons and start gangs all over the US (you don't see this part of the film). It focuses on the life of a guy who was leader of a local Skin Head white supremecy gang who gets arrested for killing 2 guys and it picks up after his release when he finds that his brother is heading in the same direction he was. So he tries to convince his little bro that the gang is wrong, so on and so forth. He tells his story, you see some flash backs. It's a really good movie if you ask me. Blah blah blah...go rent it!

Have a nice day
Old 04-23-99, 04:00 PM
Blake

I agree with you completely. This was one great film. See my review here.

Blake Kunisch | [email protected]
An Outermost Experience! | DVD Tracker List
Old 04-24-99, 03:25 AM
sab

I just finished watching this film. Wow.
its 3:30am....wow gotta catch some zzzzz
but how about ed norton? DeNiro(taxidriver)?
terrific performance, deserved that Oscar nomination.
Old 04-25-99, 02:20 PM
darksaber

I thinked Ed Norton deserved to get an oscar for this one!!! Just like he deserved one for Primal Fear!!! Just look at how good he could make the transition from, evil/psycho nazi, to confused inmate, to reformed/reformer nazi...
Old 04-25-99, 08:21 PM
jasonbird

I would like to echo the thoughts of the
other posts. I really enjoyed American
History X
. It was a very intense,
realistic story acted out superbly by a great
cast that knew exactly what they were doing.

I must also second Poorboy about some of the
scenes in this movie. It gets very intense
at times. More so than any other movie that
I can recall at this time(that I've seen any
way).

Remember this movie is about racism, Skin
Heads, Prison, peer presure, and whether or
not violence is the correct way to solve your
problems and the consequences of such choices.
I do reccomend this movie. Story telling at
its finest. However do to it's intense
nature, you might want to rent before you
buy.(I did buy it.)
Jason
Old 04-27-99, 10:17 PM
Don Catchpole

I just finished watching this one and I must say I loved it. When I hear people talking about how much they liked a movie I jump to the conclusion that it's an action type movie, I more a fan of movies that make you think(okay I confess sometimes I like a mindless movie)so I was in no hurry to watch this one.Now I'm angry at myself for not buying it for 12.49 when I saw it on sale at musicblvd. Does anyone know where I can find it at a good price? If not I'll go to the exchange forum and do some trading for it.
Old 04-29-99, 04:52 PM
Gamblor187

And now for a dissenting opinion....
I'm sorry, but this movie did nothing for me. I will agree that Edward Norton gave a great performance (although the Oscar still should have went to Nick Nolte for Affliction). In fact, Norton's performance was the only thing that kept me watching a movie that I found incredibly predictable and only a few small steps above a network Movie Of The Week. Halfway through the movie, I know exactly how it would end. The script could have used several rewrites. And the direction....don't get me started. It may be worth it if you're interested in Norton's performance, otherwise, I'm in the minority by saying that the movie was incredibly disappointed. Of course, that's just my opinion.

jim
Old 04-30-99, 11:50 PM
Laughncat

I agree with almost everbody else here that American History X was a fantacstic film. Definetely not for the squemish though. *burrrr* My only gripe is that ths is one of the few films that I wanted to watch a director's coomentary for, but no go since they didn't include. Bummer >-_-
Old 05-04-99, 05:30 AM
Nosebleed

The scene where he stomps the guy into the curb was heavy. I've seen some really sick shit but that was one of the toughest scenes to watch for me, especially with the sound effect of the guy putting his teeth on the curb. I cringe thinking about it.

PS - I saw the VHS version not the DVD version...do I get my posting privilages taken away because of this? :-P

Kind regards,
Nosebleed
Old 05-04-99, 09:09 AM
PoorBoy

Nosebleed, if you thought that the Pan and Scan VHS version was good you should go again and rent the widescreen. I'm a firm believer that seeing a movie in P&S ruins it and when you see it again is WS it's completely different. A perfect example would be the WS version of Braveheart. Blew me away when I saw it again (for the first time). We'll let you keep your posting privledges this time, next time we may not be so forgiving.
Old 05-04-99, 09:11 AM
PoorBoy

I just had to advertise for myself here after that last post to you NoseBleed. That response to you was my 350th post, sometimes I even suprise myself...

Have a nice day (351)
Old 05-04-99, 03:19 PM
bob_mandel

I too enjoyed this film. I thought it was overhyped, but found it to be well-acted (Norton and Keach) and though provoking. I have come to the conclusion that the endings of 99% of movies (and books for that matter) are anticlimatic and should be ignored when considering the rest of the film. I mean, how many films have surprise, unpredictable, and memorable endings? (another post topic?)
Old 05-04-99, 04:52 PM
jakeday

my sentiments as well......i can't wait to see whatever tony kaye makes next. did you know the dvd isn't even his own CUT? he wanted "an alan smithee film" because new line tooled with his film...but the mpaa said no....so don't expect a new line logo in front of the next tony kaye film....that also explains the lack of SE treatment by new line hv....cause this is perfect for SE. (hence not even a commentary track)
how come no one noticed the sharp as glass transfer? one of laser pacific's best if you ask me! plus---one of my FAV trailers ever...that and the mysterious "boogie nights" trailer which was, of course, absent from the DVD...oh well...i know that whoever cut the trailer stole a print and transfered it to video, selling it as a bootleg....

will buy this one friday (payday)...if my dad lets me use his credit card....i'll never buy another dvd in a store after i saw "AHX" for $17.95....but being 16 sucks for online purchases!
-jake
Old 05-04-99, 06:53 PM
Ken Cline

I concur with the others on this one. One terrific film. It's hard to believe that's the same Ed Norton, very convincing(and moving). He should have won an Oscar.

This is another outstanding DVD from New Line. Even though it's not considered a special edition, it's got extras!!!

Ken
Old 01-10-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great movie indeed! I can definitely relate having 2 brothers as far as being there for them.
Old 01-12-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw this with my fiance on our first date.
Old 01-16-02, 03:05 PM

"Skinhead Curb Stomp" That is what that move is suppose to be called.

Ed Norton was juiced up for that movie. Loaded with test and who knows what else!!
Old 01-17-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
For me...

I thought this was a very well-acted, well done movie, but for me it's not a good DVD purchase. I saw the movie and I'm glad I did, but I can't ever see myself in a mood to watch it over & over, for some of the reasons mentioned above. But that's just me...
Old 01-18-02, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this has got to be one of the oldest posts I've seen resurfaced in quite some time. Almost everyone is listed as "guest".
Old 01-18-02, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Gamblor187
And now for a dissenting opinion....
I'm sorry, but this movie did nothing for me. I will agree that Edward Norton gave a great performance (although the Oscar still should have went to Nick Nolte for Affliction). In fact, Norton's performance was the only thing that kept me watching a movie that I found incredibly predictable and only a few small steps above a network Movie Of The Week. Halfway through the movie, I know exactly how it would end. The script could have used several rewrites. And the direction....don't get me started. It may be worth it if you're interested in Norton's performance, otherwise, I'm in the minority by saying that the movie was incredibly disappointed. Of course, that's just my opinion.

jim
Agree completely.
Old 01-30-02, 05:26 PM

Excellent movie...rather disturbing. Ed Norton's performance is phenomenal...can't believe this is the same guy that played the lawyer in The People vs Larry Flynt. Very versatile actor. And I love the way the B&W scenes look on DVD!