Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Bug's Life & Trek V

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-99, 12:15 AM
Scarpad

Reel was Gracious with me and I recieved both disks and also The Siege (Which I have'nt watched yet) tonight.

Bug'g life has a spectacular picture in either the Widescreen or Recomposited Full Screen Version. You Actually do not lose anything on the full screen, do the comparision yourself. If your a Purist watch the Wide, but the Full Screen looks better.

Trek V is the same transfer that Paramount used for it's Laserdisc version all those years ago. Which means a soft, fuzzy, at times grainy dark picture. It would have been nice of Paramount gave all their trek films a good restoration. About the best that can be said over this one is that it now features a fairly good 5.1 Mix. Menu's are butt ugly. They did include a Theatrical and Teaser Trailer. I Got it for $10 so I cannot complain, but if Kahn looks like this I'm gonna be pissed. And I know alot of Trek V wound up on the cutting room floor (Not enough maybe ?) thanks for the extras Paramount <g>. The Goldsmith Score thou is still one of his best.
Old 04-20-99, 01:46 AM
aldheorte

Scarpad

Pardon my ignorance, but could you explain "Recomposited Full Screen" a bit more? Is this like full frame, but for animation so obviously there will not be any booms, etc.? Or is it a version made by Pixar to explicitly take advantage of the full screen?

Tom
Old 04-20-99, 02:17 AM
Blade

aldheorte,

Your second guess is correct! Give that man a prize!

In an interesting turn of events, Pixar has indeed redone the movie to compensate for the primary home viewing screen: the TV.

However, the movie was actually shot in 2.35x1 if you can believe it and I've read that you're still missing something if you see the version that has, quite truthfully in this case, been formatted to fit your screen.

I guess it will be just one more reason to watch the funny bloopers again!

Bloopers in an animated film. Jokes within jokes. Hope mine comes in soon!

-David

--Edit--

"Interesting turn of events"? What's this twit talking about?

I was going to insert a reference to the recent widescreen vs. 4:3 debate I participated in a little while ago. It seems McIvor's trying to stir things up again .

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 04-19-99).]
Old 04-20-99, 07:29 PM
aldheorte

Blade

Thanks for the response. I am going to have to compare a couple screens to see how this works.
Old 04-20-99, 08:05 PM
Ceej

There are several interviews with Pixar folk on the web which discuss this re-composition in great detail, along with several other issues. Check them out at:

The Digital Bits

DVD Review

The Big Picture - check out the Divx comments at the end, too!
Old 04-20-99, 09:42 PM
aldheorte

Ceej

Thank for the links - very interesting and the DIVX thing at the end of the last The Big Picture interview is pretty funny.

Tom
Old 04-21-99, 09:23 AM
Oliver

a bug's life:
Just saw it last night, and I was blown away! This is the future of animation films, or should I say, "movies". The picture was so lifelike and 3-dimensional, by far the best picture quality I've ever seen in a DVD.
I saw it in when it was out in theatres, and from what I can remember, the DVD looks a lot better on my Toshiba 55" RPTV.
I liked this better than Antz. Cute story, very funny and witty, with some good suspense and action. Seeing it the second time, I think I found it funnier, noticing the life-like facial expressions of the characters more. Go and get this one!