Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Need Review: Robocop-Criterion

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Need Review: Robocop-Criterion

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-99, 08:48 PM
needlz

I need your opinions on whether this DVD is worth a purchase. I love the movie, but the only thing that is holding me back is that the sound is dolby surround, not dolby digital. What a shame!

Since it's a criterion DVD, I'm sure the extras are packed. Reel.com has it for $27.99. Is there any other store that sells it for less (for a price-match)?

If you own the DVD, please give me a review . . . Thanks.
Old 04-15-99, 10:58 PM
foxdvd

I own the movie and was happy with the purchase. The sound was better then I had hoped, but still not 5.1. We get spoiled with todays 5.1 tracts. This is the best looking transfer I have seen of the movie yet. The other dvd of Robocop is not a good transfer at all, so it is worth the extra money for that. Also you get the X rated version of the film(though don't expect much by todays standards, it would have gotten a R if realesed now) Also, there is not as many features as you would expect from Criterion, but I would have payed at least 50 bucks for it. For the price you can get it for, BUY IT.
www.angelfire.com/ok/foxdvd
Old 04-16-99, 03:22 PM
JShueh

I too enjoyed this disk, this was first Criterion DVD and I was not dissapointed. The few gory deleted scenes were pretty cool and the commentary was good also with the Director Paul Verhoeven. I got mine from Reel for the same price with a $20 coupon..

Old 04-16-99, 09:35 PM
Ceej

Yeah, this disc really isn't "feature-packed" - basically a commentary and a fairly lengthy scrapbook-style making-of thing. The making-of thing was quite interesting, but it was VERY badly authored for DVD - my Toshiba 2107 had numerous problems playing it (it would skip some chapters and eventually freeze up, forcing me to power-cycle and then slowly chapter back to where I was). I hope the Brazil and Armageddon discs have better control.

The real reason to get this disc, though, is to get the best representation of the movie available - full-length, great transfer. This is a good-looking disc, and the sound is pretty good for Pro-logic although a little lacking in oomph.
Old 04-19-99, 03:26 AM
needlz

I appreciate everyone's opinions on this DVD. I just bought it at reel.com with a $20 gift certificate and free shipping . . . great deal!