DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk reviews for Friday, October 4th, 2019

Old 10-05-19, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

DVD Talk reviews for Friday, October 4th, 2019

DVD Talk Collector Series
Local Hero (Blu-ray)
by Stuart Galbraith IV

The exquisite charm of Local Hero (1983), Scottish director Bill Forsyth's wry, magical comedy set in a remote, quaint village in the Highlands, beguiles most who have seen it, but pinpointing exactly why it's so uniquely disarming isn't so easy. A description of its plot and characters offer few clues. Forsyth himself in interviews says story and plot are, to him, pretty irrelevant. It's a movie better experienced than trying to unravel its mysteries in print.

Forsyth debuted with the extremely low-budget ($10,000) feature That Sinking Feeling (1979), a funny comedy about four Glaswegian teenagers who think they'll strike it rich stealing stainless-steel sinks from a warehouse and sell them on the black market. Forsyth's second film, Gregory's Girl (1981), another eccentric, low-key comedy, about high schoolers in Cumbernauld, attracted an international audience, prompti...Read the entire review »

Highly Recommended
Vampires (Collector's Edition) (Blu-ray)
by William Harrison

THE FILM:

Click an image to view Blu-ray screenshot with 1080p resolution.

The review of this film was repurposed from my review of a previous Blu-ray release.

John Carpenter directed my favorite film, Halloween, and many others that I love, including The Fog and ...Read the entire review »

Booksmart Blu-ray (Blu-ray)
by Ryan Keefer

The Movie:

The movie where two friends see out their last days of high school with a party or some other event or task designed to right their social flaws of the last few years continues to be an entertaining one as times in high school change. And my wife and I had heard good things about Olivia Wilde's directing debut Booksmart and finally got the chance to check it out recently.

The actress makes her feature debut with a script written by Emily Halpern, Sarah Haskins, Susanna Fogel and Katie Silberman. The film focuses on best friends who are seniors in high school. Amy (Kaitlyn Dever, Short Term 12) has been out for a little while, and in the meantime Molly (Beanie Feldstein, Lady Bird) is preparing them both for Yale. People at school...Read the entire review »

Recommended
Hellraiser (Blu-ray)
by Oktay Ege Kozak

The Movie:

With the still ongoing Hellraiser franchise, what we get is basically BDSM from hell. The fans look for extreme gore and body horror, coupled with gothic and nightmare logic depictions of various hellscapes. They're of course supported heavily by the iconic cenobytes, led by the equally iconic Pinhead (Doug Bradley), who are priests of infernal pleasure derived from endless agony, draped in tight fetish gear and looking like the results of an X-rated Jim Henson-H. P. Lovecraft co-production. The bloody meat and potatoes of the franchise relies heavily on how far the graphic violence can be pushed as a result of creative torture devices from hell and schlocky but effective creature designs. As far as a strict demand and supply situation goes, gorehound fans get the extreme tone that they're looking for, with nuisances like story or intriguing characters used only as sho...Read the entire review »

Rent It
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (Blu-ray)
by Oktay Ege Kozak

The Movie:

My adult mind fully understands that Hellbound: Hellraiser II, henceforth called Hellraiser II, is a completely unintelligible and incoherent mess of a movie that maddens and frustrates with its increasing disinterest in putting together even the basic outlines of a story, character development, themes, and even much of a premise. It's a disastrously misguided series of shoestring plotting devised only to get the audience from one disconnected set piece after the other. It feels like the whole thing was edited by a weed whacker.

On the other hand, my twelve-year old self who has an admittedly sick and bizarre fascination with unapologetically over-the-top schlock always has a blast with Hellraiser II's relentless gory silliness full of nightmarish hellscapes where the cinematography and production design borderlines on 80s avant-garde video art. My mind wants to ...Read the entire review »