Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"A Nightmare on Elm Street 3" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 3

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-27-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)

Selected by Darkgod

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2014 DISCUSSION THREAD | 2014 LIST THREAD

Last edited by Chad; 09-30-14 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 3

The first Elm Street film I saw in theatres. I was a pussy when it came to horror and was 16 when I went to see this in 1987. The original had scared the crap out of me when I saw it on video. I was both thrilled and titillated by this one. Also bought my first copy of Fangoria when this was released. Still own it to this day. This is one of the films that I credit to turning me into a lifelong horror enthusiast. So much talent behind this, Chuck Russell, Frank Darabont, Wes Craven. Thanks, Freddy!
Old 10-02-14, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3" Reviews/Discussion - 2014 Horror Challenge: Day 3

NoES 3 feels too segmented, a series of vignettes framed by psychiatric babble. Seeing Nancy come back, complete with white hair streak, is great (John Saxon too, referencing the original is a win). Some of the effects are really nice and the marionette kill is the best in the series (second only to the blood spewing bed)... but I'm not a fan of NoES 3. I think NoES 2 is really under-rated and wish they would have continued with a more focused Freddy the possession angle of Freddy looking for a host (homoerotic subtext be damned) or stalking a particular person (like in the first).

Introducing Christianity into the NoES mythos fells really out of place, "...and now we're paying for their sins." Freddie wasn't previously some manifestation of original sin cast out by prayer (he abused kids for personal revenge and perversion) and religion really feels forced here nearly killing the series in my opinion. Before Freddy seemed to have a perspective or goal (revenge on parents who burned him, acquire physical form) and in NoES 3 he starts to exist more as a force of generic evil. Not that NoES is a hallmark of story telling but there was more plot before - here there are too many plot devices (hypnocil).

"The bastard son of a thousand maniacs..." that's a great line, but it signals them over-explaining the creature of Freddy I wish they would have let Freddy keep his original backstory (itself an awkward tale of child molestation) without over explaining his character even more. (Also does this imply that maniacs are also religiously evil? ...but all our heroes are "maniacs" so some crazies are just mis-understood but others somehow satanic?).

Interesting twist that the climax isn't directly against Freddy but instead searching a junkyard for his physical corpse.

Wizard Master guy is really epic.

Is it wrong to wish there was more Dokken in NoES 3? Into the fire!
Originally Posted by indiephantom View Post
...The original had scared the crap out of me when I saw it on video. I was both thrilled and titillated by this one. Also bought my first copy of Fangoria when this was released. Still own it to this day. This is one of the films that I credit to turning me into a lifelong horror enthusiast...
Similarly I remember seeing cardboard cut-outs of Freddie at the video rental place and catching glimpses of the TV series when I could (but being scared to death of it). One time I was unwilling to eat pasta because reminded me of Freddy's face.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-03-14 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-03-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My most favorite Elm Street movie. Always has been, always will be.

After revisting the DVD late last night, I'm surprised I never noticed all of Taryn's crazy hand movements throughout the movie.
Old 10-03-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my favorite in the series, and maybe the first one I ever saw. I definitely remembering renting it on a sleepover at one of my friend's houses. I don't think my parents would have let me rent it, but his parents didn't really care.
Old 10-03-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have fond memories of NOES 3 because I saw it in a sleazy grindhouse in downtown Cleveland in 1987. I can't remember the name of the theater, but it was a seriously rundown movie palace. You could tell that it had once been a grand venue back in the silent era, but the paint was peeling and it was clearly on borrowed time. It was the perfect venue to watch horror movies.
Old 10-03-14, 04:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Thank goodness for that alyxstarr link. What the heck is that anyway? One of us? A legit site?

I can't find it streaming anywhere, and my DVD is lost in a 'to sell' box somewhere. I remember putting it there because I either bought or knew I would eventually buy the BD set; but I can't find that either.
Old 10-03-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Thank goodness for that alyxstarr link. What the heck is that anyway? One of us? A legit site?
Alyxstarr is a challenge participant cool enough to host some of the subset films on a shared drive. Kudos to him.
Old 10-03-14, 06:32 PM

I'm going to watch the first one instead tonight, since I've never watched it.
Old 10-03-14, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kiniest View Post
I'm going to watch the first one instead tonight, since I've never watched it.
Always the best choice when discussing sequel viewing; especially in this case, as the original is a classic. Just don't watch the turd of a remake. But this third film is great too.
Old 10-03-14, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Always the best choice when discussing sequel viewing; especially in this case, as the original is a classic. Just don't watch the turd of a remake. But this third film is great too.
Of course. I'm aware of the remake's bad reputation.

Looking forward to this one.
Old 10-03-14, 10:05 PM

Seen each and every one of the NOES films in the theater. For some reason Dream Warriors is one of my favorites of the franchise. I couldn't even pick a favorite scene from this one.
Old 10-03-14, 10:17 PM

A Nightmare at Elm Street

You know what I love about gimmicks? The first time someone creates one, they always seem to get the execution solid. All subsequent attempts fall flat.

This was pretty damn solid.

Was I scared? No. I'm guessing that, at this point, if this movie can't scare me, nothing in the genre would be able to.

The mere concept that going to sleep leads to brutal murder made me feel rather uncomfortable. Point is, I'm going to hit the log after writing this bit of opinion. Hell if I'd refuse that pillow's offer! Sleep may possibly be the best thing in the world. What the gimmick itself does is take that amazing, necessary thing and warp it, disallowing our lead characters' abilities to ever experience it again. As much as we know it's just a movie, the concept alone forces the audience to imagine themselves in this situation. That must be one of the hallmarks of a damn good horror movie. No wonder this thing's a classic.

But as I said before, it wasn't just the concept. It was the damn execution! I'm reminded of the recent Edge of Tomorrow, which takes its own gimmick and really plays around with it. The time loop aspect of EoT is not simply there to be there. The very concept is played around with and expanded upon to make the story. How would the main character grow and react to the gimmick? How does the gimmick expand upon the world? How do the other characters respond to the main character, experiencing something that couldn't be experienced in the real world? A Nightmare on Elm Street not only answers these questions, but does so with a terrifying grace.

Stories like these are built on the snowflake method. The difference is, A Nightmare on Elm Street's electron cloud shoots up at least four shells. Most movies only hit two - if even!

Now, there were some derpish moments. I can understand people finding Nancy crazy. I can see folks not buying into any of her stories. What I can't understand is people ignoring her desperate pleas and making false promises about nothing. If a dear friend of mine begged me to do something for them, regardless of whether I thought they were going crazy or not, I'd do whatever I could to help them out and be there for them as much as I could. That much, however, is alright, considering the fact it's a goddamn horror movie about some psycho killing kids in their dreams.

What doesn't make sense is that Nancy appears in at least two different sequels despite the ending. It's made in such a way that you can't tell if she's in a dream or not or if Krueger's still on her ass or not. This kind of gives me the impression that the movie makers didn't expect any sort of popularity and left it open-ended. That just didn't work with me.

Despite this, I still thought it was reasonably creepy and extremely well-executed. I can see why it's a classic. Sweet dreams, folks.

Freddy Krueger vs. Freddy Fazbear when?

4/5.

Last edited by Kiniest; 10-03-14 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-03-14, 11:18 PM

Did anyone else read the book for this? I seem to recall reading the book before watching the movie (back in the 80's). And it was so different that when I eventually watched the movie, I was really disappointed with how it turned out.
Old 10-04-14, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While some of the deaths were cool, this movie was pretty boring to me. Not enough Freddy besides a couple of one liners. Cool to see Spencer's dad from Pretty Little Liars return (forgot that was him), but really this movie does nothing for me. The pacing was slow and the acting was just terrible, to me at least. I guess that's why Heather Langenkamp never got anywhere. Just disappointed this didn't do much for Freddy's character in this film.
Old 10-04-14, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I LOVED this film when it first came out. After the disappointing second sequel, this one made me a Freddy fan again. But somewhere in the intervening 25+ years, I've stopped being a Freddy fan, and when I watched it tonight, ANOES 3 did absolutely nothing for me. I fully understand that this is an issue with me and not the film (as it hasn't changed at all), but I never fully engaged with the film this go 'round. It might have been the bad '80s fashions, or the spunky bunch of misfit kids, or Craig Wasson, but whatever it was, the film just didn't do it for me tonight. It's kind of got me wondering how I'm going to react to Friday the 13th Part VII later in the month.
Old 10-04-14, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
I LOVED this film when it first came out. After the disappointing second sequel, this one made me a Freddy fan again. But somewhere in the intervening 25+ years, I've stopped being a Freddy fan, and when I watched it tonight, ANOES 3 did absolutely nothing for me. I fully understand that this is an issue with me and not the film (as it hasn't changed at all), but I never fully engaged with the film this go 'round. It might have been the bad '80s fashions, or the spunky bunch of misfit kids, or Craig Wasson, but whatever it was, the film just didn't do it for me tonight. It's kind of got me wondering how I'm going to react to Friday the 13th Part VII later in the month.
This is my thought exactly. Outside of Freddy, in these films, the acting is just so bad and the interest isn't there. I loved Freddy as a child, but now, these films don't get me excited or keep my attention. Kind of scary...
Old 10-04-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
I guess that's why Heather Langenkamp never got anywhere.
Funny. I was going to post this. She is honestly a terrible actress and just got lucky with being cast in the first movie (which has been her bread and butter for most of her life it appears).

That being said, I still think the rest of the cast is pretty darn good. The kids play their parts well without being highly obnoxious which isn't the case with most movies of this sort. Lots of minor, familiar faces and some good kills. I can't help but laugh every time Freddy says, "Welcome to prime time Bitch!" And the marionette kill is one of the most gruesome in the series in my opinion.

And jeez, can Patricia Arquette scream! It's so shrill it almost blew an eardrum out a time or two. And Freddy seems pretty damn cool in this movie. I love the faces in the chest piece and "snake" Freddy. A majority of the effect really hold up well. Also the sucking holes in the girls arms wanting drugs...awesome!

This one is definitely my favorite Nightmare sequel (since I don't consider New Nightmare really a true sequel).

My rating: ****1/2 out of *****
Old 10-04-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Critters is playing on TV before Freddy Kills Ja Ja
Old 10-04-14, 02:10 PM

Yeah, I sort of liked Heather's acting in the first film, but she's not that great here. The other kids aren't bad, and it was cool to see an early Samuel Jackson.

Spoiler:
I kid! I kid!
Old 10-04-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Funny. I was going to post this. She is honestly a terrible actress and just got lucky with being cast in the first movie (which has been her bread and butter for most of her life it appears).

That being said, I still think the rest of the cast is pretty darn good. The kids play their parts well without being highly obnoxious which isn't the case with most movies of this sort. Lots of minor, familiar faces and some good kills. I can't help but laugh every time Freddy says, "Welcome to prime time Bitch!" And the marionette kill is one of the most gruesome in the series in my opinion.
Yeah that line right there is the best part of the movie and that kill. Just a bummer Freddy wasn't seen more in the films. I do agree, the kids aren't that bad, but after watching Sleepaway Camp, those kids from Camp rocked it. It seems like 80's kids knew how to act or at least knew how not to be annoying. And glad I'm not the only one that thinks that about Heather cause I know she has a following.
Old 10-04-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went to the same high school that heather langenkamp did. I didn't find out until after the fact or I would have combed the yearbooks she was in for pics.
Old 10-04-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This seems to be a favorite scene around here:

Old 10-05-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I've told this rather lengthy story during the Challenge before, but yes, I'm going to tell it again.

When I was a kid, I loved the first two Nightmare on Elm Street films. Loved them. I had them both recorded on VHS. I watched them by myself, with friends; I even remember forcing my dad to watch one of them with me. Strangely, my parents didn't have much of a problem with me watching films in the Nightmare series but wouldn't allow me to watch anything from Friday the 13th because they were too violent. Whatever. You'll only make me want to see them more. Ha, ha. Anyway, this was obviously the start of my continued horror fascination.

So, now it's 1987, and Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors is released in theaters. I'm either 9 or 10 and desperately wish I was old enough to see it. The Dokken video for Dream Warriors got heavy play on MTV. Kids, this was back in the day when MTV played almost exclusively music videos. I watched the video each time I saw it on, studying over all the images from the film that were featured. It was as good as I could hope to do.

But then there was a glimmer of hope. My neighbor who lived across the street and with whom I grew up went to the movie theater to see it. She was about 3 years older than I was. She either went with one of her parents or a friend's parent. It didn't matter ... she saw it! She called me on the phone and told me all about the movie. "Nancy is back and still has that gray streak in her hair!" I heard about Freddy's new exploits and was convinced even more that I *must* see this movie. I couldn't wait for VHS.

And thus began the begging period. I shamelessly begged and pleaded with my parents for one of them to take me to see this movie. "I won't be too scared. I won't have nightmares. You know how many times I've seen the first two movies!" And then of course I hit them with "Christie got to see it at the movies!" I was relentless, and eventually, my parents began to relent. My dad agreed to take me to see it.

So, yes, there I was, all of 9 or 10 years old, and sitting in the theater, at long last, for the third chapter of Nightmare on Elm Street. I was enraptured. I watched it and loved it. I couldn't believe I was actually seeing it. When the movie was over, I was ecstatic, on a high still from my chance to go. I ran home and called my neighbor and rehashed all the major plot points. It was great, and I loved it.

Needless to say, Nightmare on Elm Street 3 holds a special little place in my heart. I hear some people's objections to the film, and many of them are valid. But it's really hard for any of those criticisms to matter very much to me. This is one of those cases where nostalgia can defeat all else. Each time I see it, there's still that little part of me that's a kid and watching something he knows he's not supposed to watch but loving it anyway.

I still think Nightmare 3 is probably the best of the sequels. I do really like the New Nightmare, even if it doesn't know how to end (a problem with many Wes Craven movies), but I can see how it may not be considered a true sequel. Part 3 has the start of Freddy transforming from being just a slasher in dreams into more of a manipulator of nightmares. Freddy seems able to tip toe that fine line between scary and cartoonish in this movie, and I think the next sequel accelerated that descent into cartoon caricature.

Overall, I was very happy to have the chance to revisit this and might just watch a couple of the other films this month as well. Sorry for going on so long, but I thought some of you might appreciate my walk down memory lane.
Old 10-05-14, 08:42 PM

Thanks for taking us with you on that trip, cool story.

Speaking of stories, I forget, where does your username come from?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.