Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Hour of the Wolf" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 23

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-25-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 560 Likes on 225 Posts

Hour of the Wolf (1968)

Selected by MinLShaw

IMDB ENTRY

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

OHMC7 HOME

Old 10-23-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: "Hour of the Wolf" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 23

I'll start things off. I liked Bergman's stuff back when I first started seeing some of his stuff but then it got a point where I got tired of seeing the same cast in a bunch of his films. He also uses a formula for a lot of his films and once you start picking up on it, it can get really boring as you're waiting to get from point A to point B.

I watched this movie last year and I didn't really care for it then and after watching it today, it's the most un-horror movie I've watched this month so far and I watched Fred 2: Return of the Living Fred last night, so that's saying something.

It's not so much this film but I'm bored with most of his stuff at this point even though I still occasionally watch something new and sometimes enjoy it.
Old 10-23-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed watching this movie, but more for the visuals than anything else. I cannot say that I was too engrossed in the story. At all.

I did like some of the minor characters who would pop up from time to time. The Bela Lugosi look alike was especially interesting. I wanted to know their story much more than that of the leads. More of them might have gotten me more firmly in this movie's camp.

I would say it's a good movie to watch once, but I doubt I will be revisiting.
Old 10-23-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts

Well, now, THAT was something different. I haven't seen many of Ingmar Bergman's films, but I've liked all of the ones that I HAVE seen. This one's no different; I liked it, and I actually think that, for the most part, I understand it. It reminded me quite a bit of Persona, at least structurally. I do wonder whether the boy on the rocks was supposed to be the painter's son, and he was keeping it hidden from his wife that he had killed him by "sending" him the 50 kroner as a birthday gift, or whether it was another boy entirely. I find that I have to be in a particular mood to want to watch Bergman, but, luckily, I was in that mood today. The feel of this film just had to have influenced Lars von Trier when he was making Antichrist--it just had to.
Old 10-23-11, 11:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 502 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
The feel of this film just had to have influenced Lars von Trier when he was making Antichrist--it just had to.
Nice catch. I agree.
Old 10-24-11, 12:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

who knew that Bergman could actually attempt and succeed in making a horror movie - this was very impressive
Old 10-24-11, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
who knew that Bergman could actually attempt and succeed in making a horror movie
Don't forget Virgin Spring and Seventh Seal.
Old 10-31-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 314 Likes on 217 Posts

What's the saying...if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all...right?

My rating: * out of *****
Old 10-31-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 587 Likes on 406 Posts

^ Based on the past daily films, I just knew what brianluvdvd's thought were going to be.

Overall, I liked this film, but here's my problem with the few Bergman films I've seen, and this one is no exception. When I watch Bergman films, I tend to be unbelievably aware of technique, and there's no question Bergman is a great craftsman. But the result is that I'm watching a scene and instead of really paying attention to meaning or story, I'm admiring the balance of the shot or the use of shadows. Or I'm thinking about the technique of the actors, like how still they must have to be while reading their lines to keep the shots composed the way they are. Because of all this, I feel like I appreciate Bergman from a distance, but I know this is one I probably should revisit at some point.
Old 10-31-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 314 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
^ Based on the past daily films, I just knew what brianluvdvd's thought were going to be.

Overall, I liked this film, but here's my problem with the few Bergman films I've seen, and this one is no exception. When I watch Bergman films, I tend to be unbelievably aware of technique, and there's no question Bergman is a great craftsman. But the result is that I'm watching a scene and instead of really paying attention to meaning or story, I'm admiring the balance of the shot or the use of shadows. Or I'm thinking about the technique of the actors, like how still they must have to be while reading their lines to keep the shots composed the way they are. Because of all this, I feel like I appreciate Bergman from a distance, but I know this is one I probably should revisit at some point.
I am a little predictable, am I not?

You make a great point mentioning technique, film-making, etc. This is a movie that is more interesting watching from a technical standpoint than actual entertainment. I can definitely see that. This would have been a movie to pay attention to because I have to write a paper on it but not to watch and enjoy whilst eating freshly made brownies for my horror movie challenge.

By the way...I rate films that I see based on my feelings of them and not on technical expertise, great acting, etc. Basically I rate them like I rate everything at Netflix...1 star means you hated it on up to 5 stars means you loved it. It may be a film that I respect technically or think the acting is outstanding...but if I would rather hang kittens than watch it again, it remains in the one star realm no matter how well it is made.