Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk Review: Michael Haneke's "FUNNY GAMES"

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Funny Games" Review

A fine review! I think this film is severely underrated (along with Haneke's "Time of the Wolf") and deserves a place among Haneke's usually acknowledged masterworks.

But what an unfortunate, if not quite unexpected disappointment that KINO releases yet another PAL>NTSC transfer without bothering to address the inevitable ghosting and blurred movement (and how even more disappointing that the French boxset including "Funny Games" has no English subs). And do I understand correctly that Kino won't even be releasing these early films in a boxed set... just as individual releases?

I'm not even going to bother sending my complaints to Kino. One thing's for certain - Kino cares as little for its customers as they do the DVDs they release. Always substandard in some way. What I'm hoping is that we'll get a proper transfer with English subs in a boxed set of these films from the UK or elsewhere (Artificial Eye, perhaps?). If anyone knows, please share!

Finally, there's a big spoiler in the review that I'd hope you remove. I would not have wanted to know that prior to seeing this film for the first time, as it's a hugely significant moment that catches us by surprise even by that point in the story. The identity of the person subject to the act in question (or whether there is even a victim of the act that we only hear) is also briefly withheld from the viewer. It's a devastating scene, and one that really should not be spoiled.
Old 03-28-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was thinking about whether Kino has plans to release a boxset of the Haneke films - as I seem to recall they announced - and on further reflection I think they may be doing so with Benny's Video, The Seventh Continent, and 71 fragments d'une chronologie du hasard. Unless I'm mistaken, those were the only titles in the French boxset.

Of course, I suspect those will be more improperly converted PAL>NTSC transfers.
Old 03-28-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Richard, FYI, next time if you click the "Start a Discussion" link at the bottom of the review it will start the thread for you and will send an email notification to the review's author. It will also redirect other readers of the review to your thread if they wish to post their own comments.

By starting the thread on your own, it's hit or miss whether the author will notice it and there is the possibility of a duplicate thread if someone else clicks that "Start a Discussion" link without checking the forum first.
Old 03-28-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Richard:

Thank you for the note (And Josh thank's for the clarification)!! Allow me to point out a few things!

First of all the scene you mention above is anything but a spoiler in my opinion. I don't think that the actual description of the act (which in fact is only suggested in the review as you point out as well) gives up the finale. In fact, Funny Games is a rather straightforward film. So, I would have to disagree with you about having an actual spoiler in the review .

Second of all, I received an email from someone (name: Barry) stating that Funny Games was not part of the Haneke collection/boxset that was released in France. This is incorrect!! Funny Games and the rest of the films are bundled together with the actual box that carries the other 3 films: Benny's Video, The Seventh Continent, and 71 Fragments... Fnac had all 4 films together with a special clip with Haneke's name on it. That is how these films were sold in France and that is how my collection arrived: all four films together. I attempted to log-in an respond to the thread at the Criterion forum that states the opposite but for whatever reason my account appears inactive.

Last but not least I already replied to your previous question about the upcoming UK releases. A SE of Funny Games is stated for a summer release and Tartan are also releasing the other 3 films.

As to KINO's treatment of foreign cinema: I choose not to respond to your remarks but agree with them!!

Hope this helps,

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-28-06 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-30-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how does the previous R1 release of Funny Games compare with this latest one?
Old 03-30-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It doesn't. The previous release was a total wreck. Typical Fox Lorber non-anamorphic product.

Pro-B
Old 04-03-06, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
It doesn't. The previous release was a total wreck. Typical Fox Lorber non-anamorphic product.

Pro-B
thank you for the clarification