Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

IS BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER season 6 a good blind buy

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have season 1 - 5 and i have to say this is the best tv show i have ever seen. but i have never seen season 6 of buffy. i personally dont know if i should shell out 50 bucks for this season. its recieved allot of negative reviews from fans and critics alike. so do yall think i should just get it in order to further my collection.
Old 06-12-04, 09:00 PM

Since you've come so far, you owe it to yourself to get it. I mean, despite what even the harshest critics say, it isn't suddenly a different show. The characters are all taken to a dark place and undergo changes but they're still the characters you've grown to love from seasons 1-5. Personally, I love the season as well as the next.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 06-12-04 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-12-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its a no brainer, you will love it. Sure it has a different feel sometimes, but over all its the same show and has some of the best episodes of the entire series.
Old 06-14-04, 12:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I wasn't a fan of it but bought it just for Once More With Feeling. Probably my favorite episode of the series.
Old 06-14-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally don't understand the (somewhat) negative reaction to this season. I enjoyed it just as much as the others. If you liked 1-5, you'll probably like 6.

ps - shop around. There's no reason you should be shelling out 50 bucks for any Buffy season.
Old 06-14-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
I personally don't understand the (somewhat) negative reaction to this season. I enjoyed it just as much as the others. If you liked 1-5, you'll probably like 6.
Nor do I.

Even though there were a handful of "dud" episodes in S6, I enjoyed the overall arc a lot, and since it involved
Spoiler:
the foibles and character flaws on the main characters, it had more impact than just another monster that needed to be stopped
. Really, every season of BTVS (except for three) has at least a couple of bad episodes.

I also thought the
Spoiler:
Willow addiction
storyline waaaay overdid the metaphor, but the worst of it occurs only during a couple of episodes, so it's less egregious than Riley.

I also see people complain about the darker tone this season adopted, but in a lot of ways, the series has been building up to this darkness for the past five years.
Old 06-14-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would recommend picking up 6 very much. Yes, it has its problems. But it is still a very, very good season. Heck, if you still bought season 5 after watching the dreadfull (for BtVS standards) season 4 (imo, the worst of the series), then you should definitely get 6 & 7. And although the series did take a somewhat "darker" turn, it still has some of funniest moments of the series with "the trio" - Buffy's arch nemesisis(es).
Old 06-14-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: IS BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER season 6 a good blind buy

Originally posted by maki
i have season 1 - 5 and i have to say this is the best tv show i have ever seen. but i have never seen season 6 of buffy. i personally dont know if i should shell out 50 bucks for this season. its recieved allot of negative reviews from fans and critics alike.
i couldn't keep up with the show when it switched to UPN so i had never seen S6 or 7.
i heard the same bad WOM that you did, and i was expecting to just ignore the last two sets...but then i happened to catch the second hour of the season opener on FX, and it made me very curious to see the rest of the season.
in so much as i had never seen the season before that would constitute a blind buy- and in that case i can say that this was one of the best blind buys i ever made.
i loved the season.

the negative comments about it baffle me.
i got so jazzed after mowing thru the 6th set that i went out and picked up S2- and frankly, after going thru the first 1/2 of that set, i'm a little disappointed.
that second season ends great from what i remember, but i find much of the material to be quite ...dispensible- especially after the emotional roller coaster of 6.

S6 was GREAT episodic tv and i feel sorry for anyone that wasn't able to appreciate it.
Old 06-14-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: Re: IS BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER season 6 a good blind buy

Originally posted by ckolchak
especially after the emotional roller coaster of 6.
One of the biggest complaints I've heard -- one I shared when the season first aired -- is that it's nothing like a rollercoaster. Rollercoasters go up and down. Once season six started to take its characters in a dark direction, it almost unwaveringly maintained that course. I think it would've been better liked by fans if there had been at least some glimmer of happiness (the rollercoaster moving upwards); I know the intent was to infuse Buffy with a bit of reality, but real life isn't that relentlessly bleak. (Also note that there's a difference between "better liked" and "better", and I'm not suggesting the latter.) The season seemed a lot darker to me when I first watched it on UPN. Rewatching these episodes, this time in quick succession on DVD, my complaints didn't seem to hold anymore.
Old 06-14-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoy S6, but during its original run it was a bit hard to take - unrelenting grimness for months on end. Blasting through it in two weeks on DVD was so much better.

Also, ckolchak, - IMO the series as a whole doesn't start to get really good until the second half of S2, so stick with it.
Old 06-14-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Re: Re: Re: IS BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER season 6 a good blind buy

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
I think it would've been better liked by fans if there had been at least some glimmer of happiness (the rollercoaster moving upwards); I know the intent was to infuse Buffy with a bit of reality, but real life isn't that relentlessly bleak. (Also note that there's a difference between "better liked" and "better", and I'm not suggesting the latter.) The season seemed a lot darker to me when I first watched it on UPN. Rewatching these episodes, this time in quick succession on DVD, my complaints didn't seem to hold anymore.
I found season six to end on a very optimistic note... it was really quite beautiful
Spoiler:
-- the montage at the end, with Sarah McLachlan's "Prayer of St Francis" playing over Buffy and Dawn pulling themselves out of the grave, and Willow in Xander's embrace, grieving for Tara. Very touching, I almost lost it at the lyric

"Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
And where there is sadness, joy."

A lot of the "darker" aspects of this season were very powerful:

- Dawn crawling in bed with the Buffybot in "Bargaining"

- The moment when we know Willow broke Tara's heart in "Tabula Rasa"

- Anya walking down the aisle alone in "Hell's Bells"

- Spike trying to rape Buffy in "Seeing Red"

- Tara being shot, and dying in Willow's arms in "Seeing Red"

- Dawn spending the evening in the room with Tara's body, so she wouldn't be alone

- Xander's comment that his has hands had been covered in the blood of people he loved in "Villains"

But it's also tempered with the strength of Tara's character; after the attempted rape, the horror when Spike realizes that he is indeed a monster, Buffy's love for Dawn in "Grave," Spike protecting Dawn in "Bargaining," the near-maternal feelings Tara has for Dawn.

But I can understand how seeing a lot of these plotlines dragged out over several months could wear on viewers, especially during a run of weaker episodes/plotlines.
Old 06-15-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really enjoy S6, but during its original run it was a bit hard to take - unrelenting grimness for months on end. Blasting through it in two weeks on DVD was so much better.
the great thing about tv on dvd- you can go thru a season at your own pace.

in my case, i finished this season in 3 days.
i haven't been this compulsive about a tv show since Alias (which i also didn't see during its network run).
Old 06-15-04, 06:54 AM

I say if you have the first 5 season you have to buy the whole series.
Old 06-15-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never watched Buffy during her entire run on the networks. I did not hear about the show until the 4th season and by then began hearing rumors of a dvd release, so I just waited and have watched the entire series that way. In this way, I have been able to watch at my own pace and have really enjoyed all seasons. I feel that each season had some weak episodes but that overall the characters made the weak shows interesting.

In relation to season 6, I feel the entire arc was very well done and expressed in very Buffylike terms that life is tough and bad things happen to good people. Very good season.

I am trying not to be caught up in the comments on season 7 as I will probably enjoy that one also when it is released.

"Where do we go from here...?"
Old 06-17-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Josh-da-man, your pointing out the highlights really reminded me that there was a lot of good in the season. It tends to blur together with the dreaful season 7 for me, which really was like watching a different show. But 6 had a lot of excellent stuff in it. Don't forget the scene early on when Spike tries to talk with Buffy about his own experiences in hell and how she drops the bomb on him. I get shivers thinking about when I saw that scene the first time.