Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 04:09 PM
JM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked this one up at the weekend (UK, early release).

Nice packaging. A little grain in places on the pic, but probably to be expected given the age. Other than some of the dark scenes pic looks fine. 5.1 track is good, not a whole lot of surround information, but used to good effect in the battle scenes, as is the sub woofer. DTS track is naturally a little more powerful and better defined, but seemed a little to distractingly out of sync on my copy.

Nice to finally see an uncut version after all these years of TV, cable and video viewings. I was always surprised at how much violence and bad language it got away with for a PG (in the UK anyway). But I also remember attending an advance screening in the UK, and hearing Christian Slaters "F**K me, he cleared it" line, which was usually cut from subsequent versions, certainly in the UK. But it has been restored for this version. In fact most of the violence was usually toned down for UK TV screenings etc. Of course I don't know how this compares with US versions, you guys will have to enlighten me on that one.

The new scenes (incorporated into the movie) mainly expand upon some of the darker elements in the film, particularly the Sherrif and his relationship with the old crone, Morgana(?).

It's a great shame, though, that the commentaries are the only new extra's on the disc. I have only dipped into them so far, but they sound pretty entertaining and informative.

But the rest amount to an original featurette hosted by a bespectacled Pierce Brosnan ( and runs 30 mins, despite Brosnan intoning "join us for the next hour..."), which makes a feeble attempt to delve into the legend, and then concentrates on some very formulaic, sound bite driven behind the scenes stuff - very much a puff piece. Apart from that there are some original interviews, of rather poor quality it has to be said. And quite why anyone thought we would want to hear Bryan Adams singing "that song" live is beyond me. There are some photo galleries, other text based production info, and a similar piece on the weapons of the time.

But I am just dissapointed that they did not go for a new retrospective doc. You would have expected it from a new 2 disc SE.

But it's certainly worth it for the movie alone - just don't expect too much from the extra's.
Old 06-09-03, 07:08 PM

I have been waiting to buy this but never go it now I will since I heard that it be releasing this 2 disc version
Old 06-10-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the cuts according to imdb for the british version
"The british PG-rated version is cut two places: when one of the Sheriff`s men is saying to Lady Marian; "I have never seen the breasts of a noble lady before"; and when the Sheriff separates Marian`s legs trying to take her in the end of the wedding scene.

The PG version also cut slightly the scene in which the sheriff kills his cousin. In the original version he twists the sword quite graphically, producing a pitiful cry.
"
Old 06-10-03, 02:36 PM
JM1

Must admit I am confused by the cuts listed above for the UK version. I do know that the "breasts" line and the leg separating is still there, not sure about how graphic the knife scene is - you do see the knife go in, but cannot remember it being too graphic.

But what I am confused about more than anything is the "**** me" line. That was definitely not in the UK PG version, and in fact that word would never be allowed in a PG. I can only assume it was already cut by the filmakers in the version submitted to the censors.

I am sure about that because I worked in a cinema while the film played.

But at the end of the day, this is the most comprehensive version of the movie I have seen yet, with all previous cuts restored and some extra scenes.
Old 06-10-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't seen it yet but am almost sure the "**** me" line was in the american release.
Old 06-10-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched bits and pieces of my new Robin Hood : SE today just to make sure the disc was playing alright. I must say I am very disappoitned with the image quality on this disc. I find it hard to believe it's anamorphic. Colors were bland, blacks were bleeding, it had grain and dirt everywhere. Needless to say I'm disappoitned with the transfer. Sound is OK and the supplementals are decent.
Old 06-18-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got it today and watched it, but only the feature so far. I think the extras scenes add something to the movie and explain a lot (like how the Sheriff got the hired help). Any reason why those particular scenes have been cut? Because of the witchcraft or maybe something else? I can't figure it out.