Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Fahrenheit 451 dvd review wanted please

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-03, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a review or link to a review of this just released Fahrenheit 451 dvd directed by the great Truffaut. Is this a good blind buy since I love Truffaut's films?
Old 04-02-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Fahrenheit 451 dvd review wanted please

Originally posted by insanecollector
I am looking for a review or link to a review of this just released Fahrenheit 451 dvd directed by the great Truffaut. Is this a good blind buy since I love Truffaut's films?

You can pick this up for $9.35 at DDD. It has a score by Bernard Herrmann, cinematography by Nic Roeg, an anamorphic transfer, a commentary track, a 45 making of documentary, a fifteen minute doc on Herrmann, a 10 minute doc on the original novel, and it's a great sci-fi film, a great Truffaut film, and the only one he did in English. Really this is a no-brainer.

Pick it up!

Here's a thread on the DVD at mhvf.net

http://www.mhvf.net/cgi-bin/anyboard...Qz=&aO=1&iWz=0

& here's the disc specs.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_lis...roductid=29970

cheers, Tony Block
Old 04-02-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sooo glad to hear that it's anamorphic. I couldn't find any info concerning that, but I went ahead and ordered it anyway. Now I'm neven happier that I did!
Old 04-03-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I skimmed through this last night -- holy crap this is a great disc.

Nice anamorphic transfer, great (from what little I heard) commentary, a bunch of fantastic Laurent Bouzereau supplements (including a 45-minute "making of" documentary).

Jeez, I had no idea this thing would be so packed. Best $10 I've spent in a long time.
Old 04-04-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Excellent - this sounds great! Last time I was able to see this was on an old crappy VHS tape. I am glad to hear the transfer looks good. And it's cheap to boot.
Old 04-09-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely one of the best DVD deals to come out in quite a while!
The specs all say "commentary by Julie Christie" but that commentary also features the film editor, the producer and several others including Ray Bradbury!
I've seen this film many many times, but the insights and information on this disc are nothing short of amazing - it leaps onto my "essential DVD list" !
Old 04-16-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great bargain!
Old 04-17-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I personally thought the movie was kinda goofy. Not really as great as everyone says. Its quite dated. Id say rent it first.
Old 04-17-03, 10:58 PM

Just got it and reviewed it again. Wonderful transfer.

"The disscussion with author Ray Bradbury" alone is worth it.

For the price under $10, Just go and pick it up.
Old 04-18-03, 04:45 PM

I just finished watching the Movie. It was a decent flick and not a bad pickup for $10. I will go back and watch it with the comentary and the Ray B. interview.

Tell me why you liked this movie, I thought it was good but im having a problem putting my finger on why it was good.

Thanks
Old 02-05-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Our local library just opened a new facility and I selected this as one of my inaugural check-outs. The novel was the first book I ever read in one setting, and even now just thinking about it can raise my blood pressure. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and the DVD extras. Some thoughts:

I understand why they jettisoned some of the story elements for the purpose of the adaptation, but by abandoning the atomic war subplot entirely, the scene where Montag confronts his wife's friends becomes too random. Also, in the novel he is more or less seduced into bibliophilia by his neighbors; in the film his transformation is nearly arbitrary.

Still, these nitpicks aside, yes the film is clearly dated. But, remember, the novel was published in the 50s; if we can accept its vision of the future, why not the 1966 film's interpretation of that future? Besides, the moment when his wife gives him a new, switchblade straight razor to replace his electric one, I think it's clear that many of the dated items are simply "retro" things that have come back into style by the time of the film. Certainly, it's plausible enough that I went along with it.

In many ways, the film reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut--it's moody, discomforting and full of subtleties. Just as I noticed shades of blue in EWS, I saw shades of red in 451. There is a surreality to the storytelling, and its visuals, that make this an uncomfortable film to watch--which, given its content, it should be. It's not a film to watch casually. I loved the spoken credits, because they were so jarring, and set the tone from the very beginning.

The DVD extras are rewarding and insightful, though it would have been nice had they included something with Truffaut himself--even archival footage with subtitles would have been nice. The full list price is only $12.98 and even at that price I would recommend it as a blind buy--but I would also advise reading the novel first.
Old 02-11-09, 07:15 AM

That movie sucked so bad. The book was waay better and the sad thing is I didn't care fir the book at all.
Old 02-11-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by american-pie92
That movie sucked so bad. The book was waay better and the sad thing is I didn't care fir the book at all.
What didn't you like about the film? The book?