Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

PRETTY IN PINK, by Paramount

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-20-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I picked this up today and have a few thoughts:

--First, the transfer is noticeably better than Paramount did with Better Off Dead, and the Dolby 5.1 is actually quite excellent as well. Considering those 2 things, Paramount did a nice job with the movie itself.

--Second, could Paramount really not add ONE @!)(#* "special feature"??? (Not including the "special features listed on the back: widescreen, chapter selections and subtitles.) I know this has been hashed & rehashed, but seriously--isn't it about time they join the rest of the DVD world? How about a current-day interview with Molly Ringwald? Or I'm sure Andrew McCarthy must have a little free time to add something?!? How about something cool from the '80s? Something, anything...What gives???

--Third, caveat emptor! The "special features" (see above) are not rated!! It says so right on the back! I can't wait to watch those unrated chapter selections... Watch out...!

In sum, $15.99 is a fine price for a good transfer and good sound on an '80s classic. I'm glad to have it. However, it REALLY seems like Paramount needs to get with the program...

What did you think?

Last edited by uteotw; 08-21-02 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-21-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup. I just about lost it when I saw the Special Features Not Rated on the back. But, my wife wanted it. Personally, I've never even seen the movie.
Old 08-22-02, 09:06 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I didn't expect much from this disc (being from Paramount and all). I like the 5.1 and it is a nice transfer, although I too am disappointed with the lack of special features.
Old 08-26-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the movie (for the first time ever) last night. What a Chick Flick! Andrew Dice Clay lighting his cigarette was the funniest thing in the whole movie. Seeing a much younger Gina Gershon was a pleasant suprise as well.
Old 08-26-02, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sticking with my barebones laserdisc of the flick. Paramount is among the cheapest and chintzy-est of the studio DVD producers - they really have some rotten nerve to be pushing their barebones catalog titles for $25 and up. Great movies like Pretty in Pink deserve much better treatement than this crap.