DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted: Willow

Old 12-15-01, 12:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviews Wanted: Willow

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?
Old 12-15-01, 05:08 AM

It's a great transfer - film is good, but...

some of the humour/characters are quite juvenile (the two french-accented tiny people. However, this was the last film that was done before CGI effects, and it is REALLY nice to see this film in it's original aspect ratio. Extras are all right as well - original promo piece, new documentary about the film, half a dozen trailers - what more could you want if you are into fantasy flicks? Storywise it's definitely very "biblically" influenced - when I saw this in the theater back then with several people, one incredibly religious girl broke into tears within the first ten minutes, went into the lobby AND REFUSED TO WATCH ANY MORE OF THE FILM because it made fun of the bible (hey, to each his own, but ever heard that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?) Anyways we've got everything from Moses to Jesus's birth thrown in - and for good measure some fairies, two headed monsters, sorcerers, little people...etc, etc. I really enjoyed seing this film again - and the presentation is very pleasing. But like I said - be prepared for some juvenile humor from the tiny comedic pair that's just a little grating.
Old 12-15-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Madmartigan! You are the greatest swordsman!

If I had seen this movie for the first time today, I probably wouldn't think much of it. But this film came out in theaters at the height of my impressionable youth and for that, revisiting this film is a treat.
Old 12-16-01, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 176 Posts
BE WARNED!!! This movie did not age well at all!! The special effects look horrible! I know the movie is older before all the great FX but that only makes you realize how bad the movie actually is. I remember seeing it in the theater and not being that impressed but chalked that up to maybe I wasn't in the mood to see that kind of movie. Seeing the trailors for Lord of the Rings got me wanting to see this movie again. IMHO it did not age very well. The 2 little fairy guys are most annoying. I am sure that they thought they would be funny... but the movie overall is too long and very boring. I am glad I didn't purchase it. I almost did, if I were you I would try and rent it first...

The picture and sound are very good though...
Old 12-17-01, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I loved the new Willow disc.
Old 12-18-01, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,350 Likes on 997 Posts
Re: It's a great transfer - film is good, but...

Originally posted by Christian
Storywise it's definitely very "biblically" influenced - when I saw this in the theater back then with several people, one incredibly religious girl broke into tears within the first ten minutes, went into the lobby AND REFUSED TO WATCH ANY MORE OF THE FILM because it made fun of the bible (hey, to each his own, but ever heard that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?) Anyways we've got everything from Moses to Jesus's birth thrown in - and for good measure some fairies, two headed monsters, sorcerers, little people....
Secondhand info, but I read on a Star Wars board about a guy who went nuts when Obi Wan was cradling the dying Qui Gon in his arms, accusing it of being blasphemous cause it looked like a pieta or something.

Yeesh

Edited to add: I just realize I nearly hijacked this thread. The wife and I just watched this over the weekend and found it to be a pretty decent diversion, and a nice warm up for LOTR, but not stellar filmmaking by a long shot. The brownies were a little silly, but at least they came in useful at times, unlike a certain, other, Lucas created jester-type character.

Last edited by milo bloom; 12-18-01 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-29-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a review for you...

http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_reviews/willow.shtml
Old 12-30-01, 10:54 PM
Banned

the story is great and the transfer on this is FLAWLESS, it looks like it was filmed yesterday.
Old 12-31-01, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I haven't caught the dvd yet, but the film was fun.