Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Wall Street

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-14-01, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent seen this movie before, but its affordable, hovering around the $20 mark...Is it worth a buy?
Old 12-17-01, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,137 Likes on 1,206 Posts
Based on the film? Yes.

Based on the DVD? Again yes, but don't expect top be blown away. Ananmorphic 1.85:1, but the colors tend towards the soft and lots of artifacts from the print are plainly visible. Also, there are at least two incidences of some rather heavy pixelation. In short, it doesn't appear that much effort was made to clean up the print before being digitally encoded.

Typical gimmicky 5.1 remix of an older track. The surround channels pretty much just used for music and the LFE track is nonexistant.

45-minute documentary and Oliver Stone commentary track. I found the documentary to be far more entertaining than the commentary.
Old 12-19-01, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't watched any of the extras on the DVD yet, but the movie itself is really good.

I would also recommend Boiler Room and Glengary Glenross (although GG isn't on DVD yet) if you like Wall Street.

Old 12-22-01, 06:56 PM

The film is superb, and the commentary and documentary are easily worth the price of admission. The anamorphic transfer is okay, but not great, and the sound is so so as well. Still, it's worth having.
Old 12-22-01, 11:03 PM
Banned

Perhaps Stone's most overrated film. Transfer is pretty muddy, but his commentary, as always, is great. Still can't compensate for a film that is generally lacking. Rent it.
Old 12-23-01, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by monkey
Perhaps Stone's most overrated film. Transfer is pretty muddy, but his commentary, as always, is great. Still can't compensate for a film that is generally lacking. Rent it.
I strongly disagree with your opinion of the movie. This is one of Stone's best movies and is Douglas's best role from which many of his subsequent roles were derivative of the Gordon Gecko character (i.e. Nicholas Van Orton in "The Game", Steven Tayolor in "A Perfect Murder"). I believe that Douglas won the oscar for best actor. My only slight qualm about the movie is Charlie Sheen, and daddy Sheen in the movie. They did a good job in it, it's just that Charlie has so much personal baggage that (for me) distracts from the character's presence as Bud Fox. I keep thinking that I'm seeing Charlie Sheen "the actor" on the screeen as opposed to Bud Fox "the character" instead.
Old 12-23-01, 03:05 AM
Banned

You are more than entitled to that opinion. This film though, IMO, cannot even come close to touching Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, JFK, or even Nixon. Although it's not as bad, as say, Natural Born Killers or Any Given Sunday. It's a good film, just not one of his best.
Old 12-23-01, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by monkey
You are more than entitled to that opinion. This film though, IMO, cannot even come close to touching Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, JFK, or even Nixon.
I have to concur... and I don't think you'll find much critical concensus to put Wall Street at the top of the Oliver Stone canon, either. It's a fine movie, and worth the time to find and see. But it's a snack compare to full course meals like Platoon and JFK.

-Robert
Old 12-31-01, 06:48 PM

I just watched this a couple of weeks ago. The transfer is rather dark but I thought it was fine. The opening credits also involve a certain couple of buildings in NYC.
Old 01-02-02, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I noticed that as well as does Godfather III and the Sopranos kind of wierd now. I just hope they do not edit the movies. As far as Wal Street goes I think it is a great movie. IMHO.
Old 01-02-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Wag The Frog
I just watched this a couple of weeks ago. The transfer is rather dark but I thought it was fine. The opening credits also involve a certain couple of buildings in NYC.
I will never understand the marketing decision being made to erase these buildings from the Manhattan skyline. To me, I think it kind of does a disservice to the people that worked (and died) in those buildings to pretend that they don't exist. This is PC at its worst.
Old 01-02-02, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by thgord
I will never understand the marketing decision being made to erase these buildings from the Manhattan skyline. To me, I think it kind of does a disservice to the people that worked (and died) in those buildings to pretend that they don't exist. This is PC at its worst.
If you're responding to me personally, I think it's stupid to remove them from anything too. I just thought the WTC in the opening credits was something worth mentioning.