Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: Exit Wounds

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-01, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exit Wounds - My Thoughts

Pretty decent flick for a Seagal movie.

**Off the subject has anyone seen the MAD TV skit on Steven Seagal's Crouching Cop, Hidden Badge? Funny sh*t.**

Audio was good, enjoyable fight scenes and even some quality extras...

The biggest surprise was how well DMX did in his role. Totally upstaged the aging kung fu cop. He proved rappers don't need to play rappers to be good actors.

And Tom Arnold was funny as hell.
Old 08-31-01, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like this movie too but I find it upsetting when people are too open and frank with their (usually) unwarrented hatred towards Seagal. Warner exploited him immensly and forced him to do movies he didn't want to. He is also quite shy and reclusive which is probably why he finds acting so difficult.

I like this guy and I wish people would give him a break.

Shawn
Old 08-31-01, 02:43 PM

While I consider Seagal to be one of the worst action actors out there, I do tend to enjoy some of his movies. I have Exit Wounds on order and look forward to receiving it tomorrow. The trailer looked good IMO.
Old 08-31-01, 03:01 PM
Banned

one of the worst ?!?!

why don't u go out there and show us some aikido moves

Originally posted by codefree
While I consider Seagal to be one of the worst action actors out there, I do tend to enjoy some of his movies. I have Exit Wounds on order and look forward to receiving it tomorrow. The trailer looked good IMO.
Old 08-31-01, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Dexter
one of the worst ?!?!

why don't u go out there and show us some aikido moves
It's his acting that's lacking, not his fighting. Recently I borrowed a friend's On Deadly Ground DVD and Seagal was giving some kind of really cheesy "sensitive to the environment-type" speech near the end. My stomach has been upset ever since. The guy can't act, plain and simple.
Old 08-31-01, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to hijack this thread, but I heard Steven Seagal was a real bastard. I remember listening to an interview of Tia Carrere (on a local radio station in Hawaii) and the DJ asked her if she had met any scummy Hollywood actors....she said the worst was Steven Seagal.
Old 08-31-01, 04:10 PM
Banned

Although I do agree the speech in ODG was cheesy I think that Perhaps Seagal is just himself when it comes to being "scummy". Hell, I'm scummy...but how long ago was this Tia Carrere thing? Seagal seems to have changed since he broke up with Kelly LeBrock, more introvert and less ego. He never in his wildest dreams thot of being an actor and probably heard a lot of bad things about hollywood. When he made Above the Law he was a fish out of water and since then has really only made movies he has been told to do. It's hard to find movies that can sell Seagal when so many people are instantly dismissive of him. Judging his films without actually seeing them.

Shawn
Old 09-01-01, 05:31 AM

He's great at playing cops, Navy Seals etc.

Nico, Marked for Death, Hard to Kill, Out for Justice, Executive Decision, Under Siege and Exit Wounds are his best films.

On Deadly Ground, Under Siege 2 and another film I can't remember were not that good, but his contribution as one of those tough hard action heroes is enjoyable to watch.
Old 09-01-01, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Steven Segal is an aging action figure. Sure he had some spunk years ago, and I think everyone will agree on that. But he has become a tiresome action-guy. Just like Chucky Norris.
Old 09-04-01, 11:01 AM
Banned

mmm yea On Deadly Ground sucked
same goes to Fire Down Below and US2

Originally posted by codefree

It's his acting that's lacking, not his fighting. Recently I borrowed a friend's On Deadly Ground DVD and Seagal was giving some kind of really cheesy "sensitive to the environment-type" speech near the end. My stomach has been upset ever since. The guy can't act, plain and simple.
Old 09-05-01, 08:27 PM

back to exit wounds:

first action scene.. 3 fake dummies getting killed and one model helicopter. Or the dummy for the blond guy that gets squished between two vehicles about 2/3's into the movie. Totally predictable movie (you know the cop is a bad guy at the end)with HORRIBLE editing. the actual hand to hand fighting scenes were nice, but overall an average flick.
lots of strip clubs thrown in for good measure. Tom Arnold not even funny, but Anthony Anderson makes up for it playing a character similar to his character in Romeo Must Die.
Old 09-05-01, 09:53 PM

I liked Segal at one time, but his movies continue to wreak more and more. "Exit Wounds" while not completely terrible, was bad.
Old 09-07-01, 01:36 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Should have been more hand-to-hand combat and less gun play. That's what works for Seagal. I also hate the close-in camera angles where you can't see what's going on. Pan out a little and let us see how Seagal moves! He knows how to fight - let him show it.
Old 09-07-01, 02:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I haven't seen Exit Woulds yet, but plan to over the weekend. I will say that Seagal's last 3 movies have gotten progressively worse. It started with US:2, then On Deadly Ground, then Fire Down Below, then the God-awful The Patriot.
Old 09-07-01, 11:22 PM

I agree "The Patriot" was awful, but I think that was more Mel Gibson's fault than Steven Seagal's.

BTW, you should've heard Gary Garver's recent interview with Steven Seagal for the Howard Stern show. Forkin' hilarious!

Q: "Who would win in a fight between you and Jackie Chan?"
A: "Uh...er...ah...uh...oh...uh...eh....I think you should ask Jackie that question."

Damn chickens**t!
Old 09-08-01, 12:13 AM

Just watched this and although I thought it was a decent action flick, the best part of the movie was the exchanges between Tom Arnold and Anthony Anderson during the credits was hysterical.
Old 09-08-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Shawn Watson
Although I do agree the speech in ODG was cheesy I think that Perhaps Seagal is just himself when it comes to being "scummy". Hell, I'm scummy...but how long ago was this Tia Carrere thing? Seagal seems to have changed since he broke up with Kelly LeBrock, more introvert and less ego. He never in his wildest dreams thot of being an actor and probably heard a lot of bad things about hollywood. When he made Above the Law he was a fish out of water and since then has really only made movies he has been told to do. It's hard to find movies that can sell Seagal when so many people are instantly dismissive of him. Judging his films without actually seeing them.

Shawn
This guy has a horrible rep in Hollywood. It's not just Tia Carrere slinging this stuff. You should search on the web or maybe even look for an old thread in the movies section here. People who've worked with him say he's a spacey jerk who has a tendency to physically hurt people on purpose (reincarnated buddha - yeah, right). Recently he was sued by Jaime Pressly for trying to be a bit too friendly in her trailer. You can find disparaging stories about him from co-workers right up to Exit Wounds (look for an interview with "Stephen Quadros" regarding Exit Wounds).

As for judging his movies, I believe most people have actually seen his movies. That's why they're dismissive of him...

Me, I like a lot of his films, but I think your appreciation will vary depending on how into martial arts, guns, and general military or cloak&dagger stuff you are.

Last edited by ipkevin; 09-08-01 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-08-01, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bodai
I haven't seen Exit Woulds yet, but plan to over the weekend. I will say that Seagal's last 3 movies have gotten progressively worse. It started with US:2, then On Deadly Ground, then Fire Down Below, then the God-awful The Patriot.
On Deadly Ground was 8 years ago and not one of his last 3. But come on. Some people make bad script choices. Calling Seagal names isn't gonna change anything. The guy is a little odd but so what. That's one of the things I like about him. And although I think Seagal rocks I have to admit that The Patriot sucked big time. I think there was a row over the final cut of the film and they made it into something that was never supposed to be. But if I can forgive Arnie for Batman and Robin, Bruce Willis for Mercury Rising and John Carpenter for...everything since Invisible Man then I can surely allow Seagal the odd crap movie.

Shawn
Old 09-10-01, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Tia Carrere interview was several years ago...(at least 5 years ago, IIRC)...but I remember it.....

I watched "Exit Wounds" last night....it was okay, but it wasn't nearly as good as some of my friends thought....which is why I rented it. They thought it was pretty good....I thought it was pretty bad. I know movies are fake, but I just couldn't handle some of the fake stuff in the movie...it was lame as hell.

I have nothing against Seagall....I liked Under Seige....I haven't seen all of his movies, but the ones I have seen him in pretty much sucked.
Old 09-12-01, 02:21 PM
Banned

[i]I just couldn't handle some of the fake stuff in the movie...it was lame as hell.[/B]
Um...like what???

Shawn
Old 09-13-01, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I just couldn't handle some of the fake stuff in the movie...it was lame as hell.

Hell is lame? Trying tellin old Lucifer that!
Old 09-14-01, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shawn Watson

Um...like what???

Shawn
Like the dummies getting run over (I didn't even have to hit slo-mo to tell those were dummies)....I don't expect real people to get run over and injured just to make a movie, but don't make it so blatantly fake....

Crap, my memory of the movie is fading already (even if it were a good movie, I'd probably not remember a lot of the scenes)...

But I remember thinking it ludicrous when Seagal was sword fighting with the other guy....

Sorry, I can't remember any other parts of the movie that I thought were lame...but I know there were some.
Old 09-14-01, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by filmguy
Steven Segal is an aging action figure. Sure he had some spunk years ago, and I think everyone will agree on that. But he has become a tiresome action-guy. Just like Chucky Norris.
Chuck who?! Oh right, that guy who got his butt kicked by Bruce Lee.

One other thing, if Segal is so shy and reclusive then WHY is he an actor?

Old 09-15-01, 01:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Ejunior2

if Seagal is so shy and reclusive then WHY is he an actor?

Because people told him to be. He obviously thot they knew best and that things in Hollywood worked differently. I have heard him talk in interviews about how he hates Hollywood and how he finds acting really difficult.

Shawn
Old 09-17-01, 03:50 PM

Come on people, PLEASE don't compare Steven Segal with Chuck Norris and I'm not saying because Segal is better!! I have thoroughly enjoyed several of Segal's movies but there haven't been any besides Under Seige that stood out as top notch.

Ok, now to my opinion on Exit Wounds.

1. Steven Segal is getting too old for this and is NOT aging well. He need to do a wrinkle tuck on his forhead. I'm serious!
2. Segal and ALL of the supporting cast actually did a decent job on this film!
3. It is too bad that the Directing and the Script were absolutely UNFORGIVABLE. This has some of the DUMBEST scenes ever to be filmed in an action flick. I kept finding myself rolling with laughter. I like Segal ok and DMX was good but they had NOTHING to work with on this script. HORRIBLE!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.