Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Final Fantasy: Rent Or Own?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-01, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize the DVD’s not out yet, but not having seen it in the theaters i hoped someone had an opinion on the movie itself. My son (and myself) wanted to see it in the theater but unfortunately missed out. Frankly i'm surprised to see such a quick release to DVD/video.is this indicative of the movie or does the studio feel this is just a good genre for DVD?

(edited to change case -Blade)
Old 08-27-01, 05:00 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
devo,

Welcome to the forum!

Final Fantasy bombed in the theaters (and if you do a search on the title in the In the Theaters' forum, you can see the opinion of many DVDTalker's who saw it in the theaters), and it is speculated that it's being rushed to DVD in the hopes that it will do better on video.

The general reaction I've seen over this movie (haven't seen it myself yet either) has been that it had very little story, but the visuals were great.

Lastly, typing in all caps on message boards is the equivalent of screaming at someone during a conversation. I edited your post in the hopes of heading off a whole bunch of people telling you the same thing (MS Word is good for something I guess. ).
Old 08-27-01, 07:56 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I honestly don't know WHY it bombed. On Saturday I saw it in the theaters (you know, it just got released here in The Netherlands) and besides superb animation it also has an intelligent script. I had it pre-ordered and do not cancel it. Recommended IMO.
Old 08-27-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you have an impressive home theater system that you want to show off, with a big 'workout' or you are a fan of the strictly visual aspects of movies, this one should be a purchase for you.

I thought the movie was a landmark in film art, but what a shame the story and script were not as great. It was a beautiful film with no value beyond the spectacle.
Old 08-27-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i'd say that it is definitely something to see but it's also definitely not for everyone as the box office numbers show. i'd definitely say it's a rental. i've already seen it and i'm still not sure whether i'm going to buy it or not.
Old 08-27-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can anyone confirm or post any more info on the Thriller video on the FF disc?
Old 08-28-01, 04:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure this is a fair comparison or not, but how would those people who have seen both say FF compares to the Roughnecks: STC series?
Old 08-28-01, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cornfed
Can anyone confirm or post any more info on the Thriller video on the FF disc?
it should be on the 2nd disc. at least amazon and most places have it listed as one of the features.

as for comparing it to roughnecks, the cgi in final fantasy is definitely better. the colors and textures and the movement of the characters is so much better. but as far as comparing anything else, it's kinda hard since the stories go off in different directions. i actually didn't like the roughnecks chronicles mostly because i didn't like the story. i found it boring. the final fantasy story was more imaginative although there were a lot more holes in it. i suppose it kind of depends on what you are more interested in. if you are more interested in straight action, i think you might prefer roughnecks. but if you like science fiction with drama, then you might prefer final fantasy.
Old 08-29-01, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
I am buying it. I saw it in the theater & unlike most, I liked it a lot. The animation is jaw-dropping & I thought the story was decent enough to keep me interested (and I am not a huge Sci-Fi fan or player of the game).

It is definitely worth a rental. Due to the pitiful amount the movie took in, I would definitely rent it first.
Old 08-30-01, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The news of the Thriller video put this one on my to-buy list. I haven't seen the movie, but I'm sure this disc will be a good one to show off.