Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

REview Wanted: Michael Jordan To The MAX

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-17-01, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any impressions on the DVD? I saw the film in the IMAX, simply amazing, but not that much of a replay value unless, or course, the DVD makes it worth while. What do you guys think?
Old 08-18-01, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=1549

Just to add, I watched it on VHS, and while I liked it, I don't think I'd watch it again anytime soon.
Old 08-18-01, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just listened to the commentary this past week actually.

Enjoyable documentary, which actually holds up reasonably well on the small screen. Anamorphic widescreen/5.1 DD, with some okay extras and the running commentary. It's only 46 minutes, but it's reasonably priced with a retail of $19.99. Probably worth picking up for around ~$12.
Old 08-18-01, 05:29 PM

Extremely nice disc with good audio/video quality and extra features. The movie itself is lacking, as it continually pushes the obvious on the audience - rather than talking about what made the player and person tick, it keeps telling us how good he was, which...well, we already knew.
Old 08-20-01, 09:51 AM
Banned

as a huge michael jordan fan since i was little, i was somewhat dissapointed in this film after seeing it in imax, but i bought the dvd anyway. the quality is spectacular (or as good as old footage of basketball games can get), but what dissapointed me was the actual movie, rather than highlight his whole career, they chose to focus on the last season, specifically the playoffs. being an avid fan, i was able to put into context what games i was seeing in the playoff highlights and appreciate it, but the average fan may not have known the signifcance of some of the highlights. [to them it was just a lay-up, to me and other jordan fans it was the go ahead layup w/a min to go in the 3rd game of the finals or whatever, but the film wasn't to clear on that....you know what i mean] also, for something released in imax, you would think they would have wanted to do a full career of MJ because his early years were high flying dunks and highlight reels (compared with the down to earth complete player portrayed in the movie).

the dvd is of fine quality, and i paid like $15 for it at walmart.

Last edited by MACD23; 08-20-01 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-20-01, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
If you're a Jordan fan, you might be better off waiting for the new release. It's a 2-disc set called Ultimate Jordan, and it's not much more expensive than the 40 minute Jordan to the Max DVD, but with much more content. Here's the details:

Ultimate Jordan: Michael Jordan (DVD)
Year: 2001
Length: Unknown minutes
Rating: Not Rated
MSRP: $26.98 Status: Active
Release Date: 10/23/2001
Pre-Order Date: 9/4/2001
Studio: USA
Catalog Number: 9630601872DVD
UPC: 696306018728

Main Genre: Special Interest
Sub Genre: Basketball, Documentary, Sports

Actors/Artists: Michael Jordan
Director:

Synopsis: Five of Michael Jordan's all-time best-selling videos are brought together for the first time on 2 DVDs jam packed with bonus footage and extras. It's the ultimate Jordan experience! "Come Fly with Me" - Slam dunks and gravity-defying shots galore from North Carolina, early seasons with the Bulls and NBA All-Star games--these are the unbelievable plays that set the legend in motion. "Michael Jordan's Playground" - An inspired fantasy starring Michael and based upon his motivating true-life history. "Air Time" - What it's like to be Mike! Relive the Bulls' second NBA Championship season, training with the Olympic team, and the historic Barcelona games--all through Jordan's eyes. "Above and Beyond" - Out of retirement and determined to surpass his own awesome legend, see and hear what drives Jordan to achievements above and beyond every other player in the game--and every other athlete on the planet. "His Airness" - From his childhood in North Carolina to his second (and final?) retirement, "His Airness" puts it all together with never-before-seen footage and exclusive interviews.
Product Features:
Audio Format: Unknown
Screen Format: Full Frame
16x9: No
Color: Color
Region Code: Region 1
Original Languages: English
English Dubbed: No
Other Languages: None
Subtitles: None
Special Features:
2-disc Box Set; DVD-ROM: Career stats, Trading card gallery, Trivia game, Stills; "Jordan's 10 Greatest Moves;" Highlights and outtakes from his Nike commercials; Jill Scott musical tribute; Interviews with his NBA peers; Career timeline; Slam dunk contest footage; Locker room footage
----------------------

Sounds good to me
Old 08-20-01, 01:56 PM
Banned

sounds like that ultimate jordan is what i am waiting for. thanks decker.
Old 08-20-01, 02:02 PM

Yeah thats Decker, i had no idea they were coming out with something like that. Tres cool
Old 08-22-01, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Decker is definitely right about this. I bought the MJ to the Max thought it was ok. To short for my liking. When I realized that the Ultimate Jordan was coming out later in the year it dawned on me that the IMAX needed to be removed from my collection. Altho its ok IMHO it would of been a filler DVD until the Ultimate Jordan was released.

Last edited by sm8680; 08-22-01 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-23-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you Decker... I will be running, not walking, to get my copy of Ultimate Jordan

Now the real question is... When will there be a DVD out celebrating the 2000-2001 Sixers?
Old 08-24-01, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
Originally posted by The Bus
Thank you Decker... I will be running, not walking, to get my copy of Ultimate Jordan

Now the real question is... When will there be a DVD out celebrating the 2000-2001 Sixers?
November 13, 2001. Well, sort of. That's when the 2001 NBA Championship DVD comes out. Yes, it's mostly about the Lakers (which is the reason I pre-ordered it ). But it apparently has quite a bit on the Sixers in the final half hour. Here's a link to the Amazon listing (sorry I don't know how to do the DVD link)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...764701-0894332