Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Which one to get - L'Avventura CC or Diary of a Chambermaid CC?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Which one to get - L'Avventura CC or Diary of a Chambermaid CC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-01, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any opinions either way on which of these to get? Thanks in advance...
Old 06-14-01, 12:09 PM

I have L'Avventura and I'm getting Chambermaid. I would go with L'Avventura if you have to choose, simply because of it's "weight": Emotion, Psychology, Cinematography etc... A true Epic (minus battle scenes and FX). Chambermaid, although one of my favorite Bunuel films, is more intimately disturbing on an intellectual level. I guess it's kind of like choosing between Monica Vitti and Jeanne Moreau - equally fascinating... But while Jeanne remains elusive and perplexing; Monica Vitti is like an in your face (stomach) seven course meal.
Old 06-14-01, 01:05 PM

Hmm....thanks. L'Avventura does sound quite appealing, but your description of Chambermaid as "more intimately disturbing on an intellectual level" pretty much has me sold at this point and will probably go with Chambermaid (I think...)
Old 06-14-01, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

L'Avventura hands-down. Chambermaid is a good remake, but L'Avventura is one of a kind.
Old 06-14-01, 05:06 PM

I have both and I would recommend you go with L'AVVENTURA, simply because it has a commentary track (from a film historian) and an hour long documentary on Antonioni on disc 2. It is a film that most contemporary American viewers would find too plodding and difficult, but it amply rewards anyone willing to discover why it is called one of the greatest films of all time.

I enjoyed DIARY OF A CHAMBERMAID, but I can't imagine I'll rewatch it for a very long time. It is one of Bunuel's most underrated films, probably because it isn't loaded with the surreal images that most people equate with Bunuel. Still, I am drawn to anything with Jeanne Moreau in it. I don't know what it is about her... Now that think about it, I might be returning to this disc sooner than I think. At any rate, I'd say buy L'AVVENTURA first, but do consider buying DIARY OF A CHAMBERMAID sometime in the future as well.
Old 06-14-01, 06:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I add another vote for L'Avventura. A milestone film in every sense. Jack Nicholson's readings of essays by Antonioni on disc two are a lot of fun to listen to, as well as his recollections of the director. The commentary track wasn't particularly appealing to me, it seemed as if the commentator was saying the same things over and over, just using different images to prove the point he makes at the very beginning of the film. Still, the film is worth it because you can watch it several times and discover something new in it.
Old 06-14-01, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Another vote for L'Avventura.
Old 06-14-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GET

BOTH! I did!
Old 06-15-01, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love them both - no way I would want to choose between them - but if I had to, I'd go with L'Avventura.
Old 06-15-01, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Richard Malloy
I love them both - no way I would want to choose between them - but if I had to, I'd go with L'Avventura.
also my sentiments.