Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Zardoz starring Sean Connery

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Zardoz starring Sean Connery

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-01, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody have this movie on DVD?How is for extras etc? How is the sound ,picture etc? Anybody that has this DVD please post your reviews please!
Old 05-12-01, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think anyone wants to admit they actually bought it.

Picture and sound are good.

Extras are:

-Boorman commentary -- he talks about the low budget hurting the film, explains each scene, talks about connery sleeping at his house, an assistant accidentaly exposing the last scene (which pissed connery off), etc.
-Trailers (very cool)
-Pictures
-Lobby cards
-Radio spots (some have Rod Serling!!!!)

That's all i can remember.

I wondered if the film would hold up for me. It did. Through watching it, I discovered something about myself: I like cheesy 70's sci-fi genre films (Zardoz, Logan's Run, Planet of the Apes, Star Trek TV show, etc.) Why? It's not the style, it's the substance. They're more visually creative yes (well, not by today's standards but you know what I mean), but also more thought provoking. Zardoz is the ultimate for me because ultimately it's about God & Death, and I can't think of any more interesting philosophical questions than those 2.

Hopefully, someone else will jump in here Aaron.
Old 05-13-01, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd never seen the movie before, just enticing shots of the screaming rock head in the famous monsters mags when i was a kid. still haven't finished watching it yet. i like these kind of late 60/early seventies psychedelic-influenced movies, where you know the director has something he thinks is really profound to say, but has a hard time expressing himself...if you know what i mean.
the boorman commentary will probably help on the second viewing.
picture-wise this reminds me a lot of superman (didn't unsworth shoot both these?). they did a very good job on the transfer, considering the way it was originally shot. audio seemed fine-
if you already know and like the movie, you should be very happy with the disc. i was surprised to see this released at all, let alone with the extra features.
Old 05-14-01, 03:48 PM

I like the film very much but I must warn you

Just about everyone else doesn't -- search this Forum or IMDB for a lot of negative views.

However a very small number of people have it on their personal best lists (but isn't that true with anything?).

It's way "over the top" -- so David Lean fans need not bother.

Beyond the "big flying head" and some very nice projection effects, it doesn't have much in the way of "eye candy". It was made "on the cheap" back in the pre-CGI days.

It's very good to listen to the Boorman commentary track. This film is a sincere presentation of his thoughts on a number of subjects that he holds as important. As a piece of personal expression "Zardoz" is A-List.

Oh, and if you like MST3K style "Cheeze" then it's a "don't miss" pick. Viewed as Cheeze and nothing but the cheeze "Zardoz" is incredible!!!

It's very much of its time. The 70's were an age when S.F. asked, sometimes deep and sometimes silly questions about possible futures. You would have to "hit the books" to find a better example of this style of S.F.
Old 05-14-01, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like most of John Boorman's films.....

including Zardoz here's some pro & cons on the DVD/film in the thread I started a while back.

cheers, Tony Block

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=97657
Old 05-24-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a fairly positive retrospect on the film and a look at the new DVD (it does contain spoilers however):

http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/bmzardoz.html