Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: Speilburg movies

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted: Speilburg movies

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-01, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't seen the following movies before: E.T., Close Enounters of the Third Kind, or Jurassic Park (honestly!), and I'm thinking of buying the DVD's without even seeing the movies!

I've seen the Indiana Jones, and Jaws and enjoyed many big budget special effects blockbusters, but I'd like a review on those movies and their DVD's! Are they really classics? Is this because of the storyline or the special effects?

thanks a lot,

**I never saw Jurassic Park, but I saw it's sequel, and after seeing that mess I decided not to even bother with the first.
Old 05-23-01, 07:39 PM

It's Spielberg

I've outgrown ET, but Jurassic Park & CEOTTK are still excellent after repeated viewings.
Old 05-23-01, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just Close Encounters for me.
Old 05-23-01, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
E.T. is the only movie that gave me nightmares as a child. (Saving Private Ryan kept me awake at night...)

Close Encounters is one of my favorite films. It's about flying saucers and aliens, but it's also about obsession, losing your family (and your mind) and sometimes coming thru the crucible into a better place.

Jurassic Park is considered by most to be way better than Lost World, I consider them fairly equal. JP was better because of the newness and wonder, but LW's T-rex in San Diego just got to the little kid in me, I love it.

I don't consider any movie a classic film because of it's special effects. I may note it as a footnote in the history of film, but it actually has to use those effects to the good of the story to be accepted. That said, some of the effects in Close Encounters are a bit dated, but the story overcomes any flaws. A wonderful film.

Old 05-24-01, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ET and JP are fluff.

Buy CE3K. You will not be dissapointed.
Old 05-24-01, 10:42 AM

JP is better than Lost World!
Lost World is a "boooo".

If you like Steven Spilberg's movie, try Saving Private Ryan! It is one of the best war movies I've seen. I am still impressed since it was released until this moment!
Old 05-24-01, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ah... uhh...

...it's not 'Speilberg'...

...nor is it 'Spilberg'...

...it's Spielberg...

¨. . .

Old 05-24-01, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by Hendrik
...ah... uhh...

...it's not 'Speilberg'...

...nor is it 'Spilberg'...

...it's Spielberg...

¨. . .

It's Spell-bug
Old 05-24-01, 02:09 PM
Banned

he's a decent bet for quality entertainment

well, like most any movie, an initial base level of your enjoyment may come from your interest in a particular genre or actor. mebbe dramas like "The Color Purple" - no matter how well done - could only get 3 stars max in your book, but a cutesy sci-fi flick like E.T. could NEVER be less than a 4 if it's even half-way competently done.

Nobody can hit one out of the park everytime out, but you can count on Spellbug for a great batting average, and fantastic power stats too. Natch, the writer's fertile mind is the foundation of any great story, but the director is responsible for everything you see and hear on screen(duhh) - they have to bring that story to life.

SS is damned good at what he does...

for a listing of all the extras on the Spellbug movies released to date, click here and in the search bar select "Directors" (and put "Spielberg" in the box). we have film reviews of some of them as well.

CT
Told You So Productions

[Edited by vannaLust on 05-24-01 at 12:13 PM]
Old 05-24-01, 02:27 PM

Just wait for E.T., forget the rest.
Old 05-24-01, 03:35 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do not forget the rest. He is my favorite director ever. Jurassic Park is great, as is the DVD. Close Encounters is a great movie and the DVD sounds very good so far. ET is not out yet.
And, if you haven't, watch Saving Private Ryan.
Old 05-24-01, 06:18 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, that's the second person I've read recently that has referred to dated effects in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND. Where, oh pray tell, where are these dated effects, 'cause I've seen the film a couple thousand times and have yet to see any. The CE3K I've been watching all these years is probably in the top five films of all time in terms of special effects quality. Which CE3K have you been watching?!

By the way, Spielberg = God. Any further discussion would just belabor the point...