Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Atom Egoyan DVD Collection

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Atom Egoyan DVD Collection

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-01, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently a DVD boxed set of Atom Egoyan movies -- including The Adjuster, Calendar, Exotica, The Sweet Hereafter, Felicia's Journey -- has been released in Canada only.

I've already purchased the excellent DVDs of both TSH and FJ but have held off on the humdrum Exotica DVD. MGM just released a barebones, anamorphic Adjuster DVD in the USA, but apparently the Canadian DVD that is included with this box contains a director's commentary and other supplemental features.

I'm eager to get The Adjuster because I think it's a terrific movie, and I've only seen cropped, full-frame versions on home video and TV. I've enjoyed Egoyan's commentary tracks on the DVDs of his movies that I do own, so I would prefer owning the Canadian Adjuster unless the movie's A/V quality is seriously inferior to the MGM version (I know, I know...) Of course, I realize it would be difficult for the typical consumer to compare two different versions of one movie. (I find the numerous threads that occasionally appear asking for a comparison between the Criterion Collection version and the Fox/Lorber edition of either The 400 Blows or The Killer slightly ridiculous; why would you even bother to look at the Fox/Lorber version if you already have the Criterion Collection version? Who would really be in any position to compare the different disks?) But, I welcome any opinions that are available.

The Disney/Miramax Exotica has been around a long time, so hopefully the boxed set version will provide at least a comparable transfer, and hopefully an improved one, perhaps even anamorphic. I wouldn't be surprised if anyone has had the opportunity to compare these Exotica disks. I've heard nothing of any supplements for this feature, so the skinny on this disk would be appreciated.

Apparently, Calendar also features some supplements, perhaps including a commentary as well. If anyone can fill me in on this boxed set, and how the individual disks might compare to what is already available, I would certainly appreciate your opinion.
Old 05-06-01, 11:25 AM
Jad

As I too already had The Sweet Hereafter and Felicia's Journey, I opted to just get The Adjuster and Calendar. I've read elsewhere that Egoyan is supposedly unhappy with Exotica's presentation on DVD, and would like to revisit it somewhere down the road (please, please do not take this as an announcement of a future edition), so I've decided to wait a little longer, and see what, if anything, happens before buying the version on the market now. Thus far, I've only had the opportunity to watch The Adjuster.

I'd never seen the film before, but to my eyes at least, the colors seemed... off. Far from reference quality, but serviceable. I don't have the MGM disc to compare, unfortunately. The disc features a commentary by Egoyan (haven't listened to it yet); En Passant, a short film by Egoyan; an interview with the director on the set of the film; and filmography and biography info on Egoyan.

Calendar features a commentary track by Egoyan and his wife (who also stars in the film); Formulas for Seduction, which according to the IMDB and other sources I've looked up, is supposed to be a 52 minute documentary on the films of Atom Egoyan chronicling everything up to and including Felicia's Journey; a Church Photo Gallery with narrative; an interview with Egoyan; and of course the requisite Egoyan biography and filmography information.
Old 05-06-01, 03:29 PM

REVIEW REQUEST: Atom Egoyan DVD Collection

Upon reading the subject line of this post again, I realize that it might appear to be a review of the Atom Egoyan Collection as opposed to a review request. I apologize if I may have annoyed anyone who has viewed the thread and was expecting the same info that I'm requesting.

Thanks for the reply Jad. It definitely sounds like I need to seek out the Adjuster and the Calendar DVD for the impressive extras. Formulas for Seduction sounds like a must-see. Assuming that the transfer quality of the Adjuster DVD is inferior to the US version, at least the MGM version is inexpensive. And I don't see USA companies tripping over themselves to release Calendar (or Speaking Parts, Family Viewing...)

Are you located in Canada? I've had problems finding a Canadian e-tailer who will sell me the Adjuster DVD -- outside of the box set. Most of them seem to be selling the MGM version. If you've got any suggestions on how USA folks might be able to easily find a copy, I would appreciate that info.

I would also appreciate some info regarding the other disks. Are they identical to the previously-released versions? Anyone?
Old 05-07-01, 11:00 AM
Jad

I'm in the U.S. and ordered my copies from http://www.hmv.com but I'm sure there are lots of other (cheaper?) alternatives. However, since I've only ordered "Canadian exclusives" from HMV, and don't have any personal experience with other Canadian etailers, I really can't, responsibly, offer specific recommendations. If anyone else out there, who has successfully ordered from other Canadian etailers, would like to suggest some other stores (which stock the titles in question), please feel free to do so.

Also, as far as I can tell, the other discs in the set are identical to the versions already out.
Old 05-08-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. I didn't know an Atom Egoyan box set existed. I've already got The Sweet Hereafter and Exotica. And I was just about to break down and order MGM's The Adjuster last night. I'm glad I didn't. I might pick up this set sometime soon. When I do, I'll post my thoughts on it here.

Did you happen to run across any sites that have a good price? It's $67.99US at Chapters.ca and not available at ABSound.ca (which usually has really low prices) or HMV.com.

[Edited by cynthia on 05-08-01 at 10:45 AM]
Old 05-08-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, I went through and looked through all the Canadian e-tailer listed in this informative thread, and gathered the pricing/postage information of those that do carry the Atom Egoyan Box Set. There were only two.

Chapters.ca for $71.07US shipped & Videoflicks.com for $93.98US shipped.
Old 05-08-01, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are we able to order the special editions of Calendar and Adjuster seperately? If not, is there a release date? Thanks for any info.

Also, has anyone seen the box set? Is there a case with artwork? Any photos?

[Edited by pjflyer on 05-08-01 at 12:09 PM]
Old 05-08-01, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pjflyer
Are we able to order the special editions of Calendar and Adjuster seperately? If not, is there a release date? Thanks for any info.
Both are available separately at HMV.com. The Adjuster has the same picture as the US version, but if you look under special features - it lists a commentary and "En Passant".

Also, has anyone seen the box set? Is there a case with artwork? Any photos?
I'd love to see the packaging, too.
Old 05-08-01, 02:40 PM
Jad

Well, I found this elsewhere, but I think readers of this thread might benefit from this information also:

Atom Egoyan Films at Facets.org
Old 05-08-01, 03:13 PM

The boxed set is also available at ABSound.ca for US$68.02, but they appear to be selling the MGM Adjuster individually. The only way I could get the search engine to retrieve the boxed set was by using only "Atom" as the criterion.

The Facets.org website is somewhat bewildering. I wish they included Region Coding info, or are we to assume that all DVDs they are selling are playable on Region One players? I notice that they appear to be selling Godard's Breathless; this is the first I've heard that it is available on DVD for Region One.

Count me in for Speaking Parts and Family Viewing tho.
Old 05-08-01, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by theWitcher
The boxed set is also available at ABSound.ca for US$68.02, but they appear to be selling the MGM Adjuster individually. The only way I could get the search engine to retrieve the boxed set was by using only "Atom" as the criterion.
Thanks. I was searching for "Egoyan".

Originally posted by theWitcher
The Facets.org website is somewhat bewildering. I wish they included Region Coding info, or are we to assume that all DVDs they are selling are playable on Region One players? I notice that they appear to be selling Godard's Breathless; this is the first I've heard that it is available on DVD for Region One.

Count me in for Speaking Parts and Family Viewing tho.
I assume it's Region 1 discs they have, since they're located in Chicago.

I ordered their free DVD catalog, but I'm still confused. Have Speaking Parts and Next of Kin / Family Viewing double feature, indeed, been released (either in the US or Canada)? At their site, those two DVDs list as "OUT OF STOCK TEMPORARILY- Expected to ship within 4 weeks."

I'd really like to have these.

[Edited by cynthia on 05-08-01 at 04:24 PM]
Old 05-08-01, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, found a pic!

Old 05-08-01, 10:12 PM
Jad

The plot thickens: Calendar has just been officially announced for release in the U.S.

Interesting... the back of the case on my (Canadian) disc says the feature runs "1h 25 min", while this forthcoming release is supposedly 75 minutes.

[Edited by Jad on 05-08-01 at 08:16 PM]
Old 05-13-01, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone order the boxset?

Impressions?
Old 05-13-01, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone order the boxset?
I plan to order mine from Chapters.ca next week.
Old 05-13-01, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...re: Calendar...

Halliwell's says 75 minutes...

The IMDb says 74 minutes...
http://us.imdb.com/Details?0106504

The (Canadian) DVD says 85 minutes...

...never trust anyone!...

. . .

[Edited by Hendrik on 05-12-01 at 11:42 PM]
Old 06-03-01, 10:50 AM

Any reviews for this set?
Old 06-09-01, 03:30 PM

bump^
Old 06-19-01, 09:44 AM

OK, this is my last try! Can anybody give me a review of the disks in this set, ahhhhhh.
Old 06-19-01, 02:30 PM

Criterion Collector,

I got a notice that it has shipped today. It will take awhile to get here, I'll post a quick review when it arrives.

Mike
Old 06-24-01, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On Atom Egoyan - Speaking Parts and Next of Kin/Family Viewing special edition dvds are coming out 6/26, both with some nice features. Both are 25% off at amazon.

Old 07-01-01, 08:05 PM

Hey Rez. Have you got your order yet? If you have, which disks have you watched and what is the quality of the picture and the extras. If not, just tell me your still waiting. Man this is one of those sets that I'd love to get but am a little affraid to take a chance on. If anyone has it, a review would be a godsend.

Thanks
Old 07-01-01, 08:39 PM

If you want to see good scans of the cover art for The Adjuster (as well as the back) you can take a look at them at:

http://www.videomatica.bc.ca/system/rental.asp

It's Videomatica, the best video store in Canada. They have a sales division as well but the prices are quite high.
Old 08-14-01, 01:48 AM

bueller? bueller? anyone?

Trying to figure out whether to buy the American or Canadian SPEAKING PARTS, CALENDAR, ADJUSTER, NEXT OF KIN/FAMILY VIEWING ... anyone actually watch either or both of these or is everyone just enjoying summer?